Bad Breath

Guest Mom2Comet

More chew treats - greenies, bones (big beef bones), rawhides (while under supervision), brushing her teeth. Maybe you can't see the placque but it's got to be there if her breath smells.

If none of that works it can't hurt to take a trip to the vet. Maybe it's a sign of something else. Best wishes for a good outcome!

I had a foster that had beautiful teeth but horrid breath. My vet suggested a Pepcid and it worked.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

• 2 weeks later...

She was recently at the vet for a checkup and all is well. She has rawhides, but she's not an avid chewer, more of a carry it around for a week, chew a couple minutes a day, abandon it in the yard when it's soggy kinda gal. She always has one - and no - we don't supervise she just always has it because she can.

Come to think of it though - for the last few months, I haven't gotten her a nice marrow bone (which she will knaw at enthusiastically) , or given her any of the RMB that I used to throw in once in a while....

Geez, I feel dumb. Apparently - go back to what worked that you just did naturally - is the answer! Raw bones occasionally. Apparently I'm just slacking!

BTW- greenies are a no-no for her (only thing that ever caused Miss Rock Gut to have Big D in the house). And I'm not brushing her teeth. That is a hell we agreed to never go into again.

Edited by sobesmom

Have the same situation...just had a dental and his teeth look great....we have a basket of real bones and nylabones. I know the nylabones aren't good but my dogs love them and do some serious chewing. I take them away when they start looking chewed. All my dogs chew on their bones daily. Two dogs have great teeth and Micah required the dental. He doesn't seem to have digestive issues.....good poop, no gas, etc. But now his breath is bad! Hoping someone comes up with help for you on this thread because I'm out if ideas!