Awaiting A Biopsy Report

Guest cashie

Guest cashie

Thanks Jane! Tracy has given me some great info about a hotel there as well as details about the clinic. I received two emails from Dr. Kellogg already and I'm sending her the xrays tomorrow. I also plan on calling the clinic tomorrow to set up an appointment. The earliest I could go would be next week (stupid work, but I guess it pays the vet bills right;)

Thank you:)

Kelly

Guest LindsaySF

Rogan just had toes amputated, and in discussion with the vet she said I could give 100 mg Tramadol every 6 hours. (The usual instructions are 100 mg every 12 hours, and I had heard previously you could go up to every 8 hours). If that (6 hours) wasn't enough pain control, I could give even more. She said there is room to maneuver with Tramadol based on recent studies she read, as long as the dog does not seem too sedated or groggy. It really depends on the dog, some are more sedated than others (and some have weird behavior like hallucinations). I'd increase your pup's Tramadol and see if that helps with the pain and limping.

Good luck with the OSU consult! Greytalk people rock. :)

Guest betheab199

Hi Kelly,

I am so sorry to hear about Cash. I am thinking you may have adopted from Compassion for Greyhounds?? Sounds like you are about to get some more help from OSU! Hope Cash is doing well!

I can only tell you what I did. The difficult decision is still yours.

My 12 yr old Diamond was diagnosed with OS. I chose amp. I went to OSU from NJ specificially because they've seen so many greys that they could tell me if this "young" 12 yr old could handle being an amputee. They said that she should be able to handle it. She has some arthritis in her back and wrists, but other than a slower recovery, should do fine.

She surprised everyone and was on her feet and out the door in no time. Her recovery was hampered only by an infection she got at the suture site.

She had 6 pain free happy months. She even tried to chase deer three legged. OS showed up in a hind leg 6 months after surgery. That's when I sent her to the Bridge.

Good luck. It's a very difficult decision.

PS. The only modifications I needed to do at home was put in a ramp because she always had trouble with stairs even before the amp. She was fine with it.

Guest cashie

Hi Kelly,

I am so sorry to hear about Cash. I am thinking you may have adopted from Compassion for Greyhounds?? Sounds like you are about to get some more help from OSU! Hope Cash is doing well!

We got him from TLC, I don't think they are around anymore or maybe go by a different name now? Thank you for the positive thoughts:) I met someone who works with Compassion for Greyhounds once while out walking with Cash, they seem like wonderful people:)

Edited by cashie

Guest cashie

Rogan just had toes amputated, and in discussion with the vet she said I could give 100 mg Tramadol every 6 hours. (The usual instructions are 100 mg every 12 hours, and I had heard previously you could go up to every 8 hours). If that (6 hours) wasn't enough pain control, I could give even more. She said there is room to maneuver with Tramadol based on recent studies she read, as long as the dog does not seem too sedated or groggy. It really depends on the dog, some are more sedated than others (and some have weird behavior like hallucinations). I'd increase your pup's Tramadol and see if that helps with the pain and limping.

Good luck with the OSU consult! Greytalk people rock. :)

Dr. Kellogg mentioned increasing Tramadol as well. She said I could even give 3 (150mg) twice a day if he was 60 pounds and he's about 78 right now. I'm going to give him a little more tonight-ever since he has decided that he can still go on walks it seems like he is really sore. Thanks for the input!

Guest cashie

My 12 yr old Diamond was diagnosed with OS. I chose amp. I went to OSU from NJ specificially because they've seen so many greys that they could tell me if this "young" 12 yr old could handle being an amputee. They said that she should be able to handle it. She has some arthritis in her back and wrists, but other than a slower recovery, should do fine.

She surprised everyone and was on her feet and out the door in no time. Her recovery was hampered only by an infection she got at the suture site.

She had 6 pain free happy months. She even tried to chase deer three legged. OS showed up in a hind leg 6 months after surgery. That's when I sent her to the Bridge.

PS. The only modifications I needed to do at home was put in a ramp because she always had trouble with stairs even before the amp. She was fine with it.

So sorry to hear about Diamond, that must have been heartbreaking for you. Did you try chemo as well? My husband built Cash a ramp when he had his biopsy and he was so confused that he kept jumping over it. This of course gave me a heart attack so we removed it. Thank you for sharing:)

So sorry to hear about Diamond, that must have been heartbreaking for you. Did you try chemo as well? My husband built Cash a ramp when he had his biopsy and he was so confused that he kept jumping over it. This of course gave me a heart attack so we removed it. Thank you for sharing:)

Diamond learned to use the ramp. Actually it was not on the stairs, it was next to it. And it was a left turn to take the ramp down. The ramp itself hugged the house, it did not stick straight out. But then, again, I had 6 steps. So it would have made a very long ramp straight out from the door.

Diamond did have chemo and handled it well. All I can say is that she was happy those last few months.

And good luck with OSU. And it's obvious (TBHOUNDS and me) that even the 8-10 hr drive from NJ was well worth it. Jane was a Godsend. Take her up on any offers of help.