Diamond Expanded Recall

Guest WhiteWave

all three of my dogs had intestinal stuff-diarrhea, vomiting, bloody stool. .... my vet, by the third dog, and knowledge of all the recalls, has agreed, that the tainted food made my dogs. sick.

diamond doesn't want to hear anything of it, unless the dogs have salmonella.

really?

If your vet suspected the food, did they run a fecal culture to confirm Salmonella? If your vet doesn't think it's Salmonella, why do they think it's the food? At this point, the only problem that's been found with the Diamond food is Salmonella. If you think there's something wrong with the food besides Salmonella, did you send a sample of your food off for independent testing? I believe you mentioned that the first dog got sick on one bag of food, and the 2nd dog didn't get sick until after you'd opened another bag of food. Were the 2 bags from the same lot? If not, that makes the food even less likely to be the cause of your dogs' illness.

I recently saw a family whose 3 dogs (toy poodles) all got sick within a week, mild signs of decreased appetite, lethargy, and diarrhea. Could it have been caused by the dog food they were eating? Sure. It could also have been something else they were fed (treats, table food), something they ate out in the yard, a stomach 'bug' they were sharing, or a number of other possibilities. Knowing about the recent recalls, I asked what food they were eating. They're eating canned Science Diet, which they've been on their whole life. If they had been on one of the recalled brands, would we have been quicker to blame the food? What makes that more likely than the other possibilities?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bett

fecals were done on all three dogs. one had an X-ray to rule out obstruction and her blood test showed high eosinophil count which could be parasite or an allergy to food (i know allergies can happen all of a sudden).the vet thinks it's the food, because the situation with diamond happened, my batches of food came from that plant, tho diamond told me "it's only the lamb and rice) and i like a fool, believed them. after they finished off that bag of food i actually opened the next bag, but by this time the third dog was bleeding. calls and emails only offered me another bag of food. as i said before, it is easier for a human to get salmonella than a dog however, they can still get sick from tainted food. and they did. all 3, are eating fromm, (yes, chicken too) and no one is sick. rex is still on antibiotics because 7 days wasn't enough for him to stop bleeding, and vangie is being weaned off the prednisone.

i never told diamond my dogs had salmonella. i told them i suspected my dogs got sick from tainted food.

it too, until my third dog actually got sick, that i was convinced and as i said, my vet agreed. i brought the opened bag back to costco and they refunded my money.

my dogs are not alone in my yard and not getting treats other than the carrots (yes, organic) and the baby mother hubbard, that they still get.

one of my dogs, circled the food and smelled it and walked away. but i didn't want to create a finicky eater so i left it for her to eat.labs, usually would eat anything. foul or not. they didn't get sick in one week of each other. first one got sick, 3 weeks later the next one and the third one was about 3 weeks after that. just enough to finish off the first bag and start the next.

if you guys want to think that they just got sick from one another, ok, that's your right. my dogs got very ill, each different intestinal stuff, and now are fine.

diamond wouldn't return calls to cbs news?

does that sound fishy to you?

Edited by bett

If you think your dogs got sick from the food, I'm not understanding why you wouldn't test the dogs for Salmonella and retain a sample of the food if possible?

Dogs can get sick from a *lot* of things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest bett

If you think your dogs got sick from the food, I'm not understanding why you wouldn't test the dogs for Salmonella and retain a sample of the food if possible?

Dogs can get sick from a *lot* of things.

Ok, for starters, i am not a "new" dog owner, or twenty years old. I am well aware that dogs can get sick from many, many things. Tainted food, being one.

What i said, was, that i was feeding from the largest bag of kirkland, when my first two became ill, close to a month apart.by this time, diamond had the first recall supposedly ONLY the lamb and rice, which i was NOT feeding. Not suspecting tainted food but concerned with the recall, i spoke with diamond several times and verified that my next bag of food, was in fact from that plant but again, reassured that it wasnt my food. I then began feeding from the new, large bag UNTIL my third dog began having bloody stools at the same time diamond expanded their recall, now including the food i was feeding.

All my dogs had fecals and all negative.but that doesnt mean, according to my vet, that the salmonella tainted food didnt sicken my dogs.again, it is easier for humans to get salmonella than the dogs who eat tainted food.

The first bag of food, to explain again, was finished and the second bag of food was returned to costco. And if i had that bag of food i never ever would have sent diamond the food to test because i have no trust or faith that they would be honest or honorable.i also believe, if humans had not come forth announcing that they had salmonella and was feeding a diamond food, not much would be done. I believe the first reported case of human salmonella was reported th the center for disease control SEVEN months ago.

And again, i find it curious, to say the least, that calls to cbs, went unanswered.

Me, they offered a coupon for free food.

And fyi- i never mentioned my vet bill- either to the vets at diamond that i spoke with or cbs( tho cbs asked me if it was costly and i replied "yes")

Part of being a responsible dog owner, in my humble opinion, is being able to afford to pay my own bills so i certainly didnt have my hand out, awaiting payment.

That being said, anyone who needs anymore info regarding my 3 dogs vet care during this illness, feel free to ask, as i have all documents from the vet copied and in my possesion.

I wondered if they were tested for Salmonella. A regular fecal doesn't test for specific types of bacteria; normally it's just to look for parasite eggs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest bett

The vet tested their fecal for more than parasite eggs.

As i said before, i never said to anyone, including diamond that my dogs had salmonella, as i am aware, that it is more difficult for a dog to get salmonella.but they can get ill from eating tainted kibble.

And i believe that is exactly what happened. By the time my 3rd dog became ill, all the recalls were out and the news of humans having got salmonella from diamond's kibble, were all over.as a matter of fact, the dog can actually eat the kibble and still be a carrier of the disease.another reason this is a dangerous situation.

The real problem i have with diamond, is the untruthful answers, talking out of both sides of their mouth, offering me a coupon ( now really), not calling me back( spoke to two of thier vets, have a reference number and left a voicemail on the HEAD vet's phone,) refusal to return calls to cbs........

Their customer service, if nothing else, leaves a lot to be desired.