Injured Dew Claw!

Guest mariah

Guest mariah

Gussie and I just had a chance run-in with her brother, Olav, at the park! We had actually been planning on meeting up with his owners, but hadn't yet done so, so this was the first time that they had seen each other since Gussie was adopted in January. They were so so so happy to see each other again, it was very sweet!

But! It looks like Gussie has injured one of her dew claws while they were running around. I'm kicking myself because I had meant to trim them this weekend and didn't do it. The nail is in one piece, but it was bleeding up near the nailbed, and it seems to be hanging off at a bit of an angle, maybe, nothing too extreme though. I didn't notice it until I saw the blood. It stopped bleeding pretty immediately, she isn't favoring the leg or licking it excessively or anything, she's actually been wanting to play since we got back into the office. I've never had an issue with dewclaws before...Chips didn't have them...so I'm not sure how serious this is and whether or not it warrants a vet visit. Will it be ok with some ointment and vet wrap or should I take her in?

Not so serious usually. Ointment and a wrap should do it. As long as it stops bleeding. You do want to keep them from licking it excessively, and also watch for signs of infection--if it did get infected, you would want to take her to the vet and have it looked at.

Here's hoping it heals quickly! She is such a cutie!

S.jpg

Guest Carsons_mom

The nail came completely off on Carson's foot and it was fine for 10 days. Then it got infected and required antibiotics to clear it up. I had tried to keep it covered and used antibiotic ointment, but he wouldn't leave it alone.

Good luck and keep watching yours.

Guest mariah

Thanks. I'll watch it closely for sure. Should I expect that it's going to fall off eventually?

I'm typically the kind of person who runs to the vet over every little thing, but she can be so overdramatic sometimes if someone fusses with little injuries etc, so I'd like to avoid The Big Scene at the vet's office if I can. It actually doesn't look so bad any more, was a little shocked by how much blood there was at first, though.

It doesn't sound like it was injured enough that it will fall off, rahter it will heal on it's own.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mariah

Sorry to be resurrecting this topic!

We took it easy and waited until the claw was all healed up. As soon as she would let me, I trimmed the claw down as far as I could without quicking it. Today we had our first play date with Olav since she first injured it, and...it happened again! Olav's mom pointed out that she seems to be catching the claw on the inside of her other front leg. She doesn't really have any other sighthound pals, so I'm thinking maybe it's something to do with how she plays with Olav.

Anyway, I'm not really sure how to proceed and wanted some advice to arm myself prior to our vet appointment. If I have the nail removed, will that help it to grow back correctly? Should I tape them when they play together from now on? I don't really want to have the whole thing removed if I can help it...seems kinda wrong, like cutting off their thumbs...also we do agility and I'm worried about balance issues--but obviously if this is going to happen every time, it would cause her less pain, suffering, and inconvenience in the long run. I dunno, anyone have experience with this?

Seamus is another one who keeps ripping his dew claws so I did ask the vet about having them removed. She discouraged me from going that route unless it really becomes unmanageable since it is a surgery that involves going under anesthesia and recovery time. I decided against it for Seamus. She just told me to keep them well trimmed. It is certainly worth discussing with your vet for their perspective and a list of the pros and cons. Wishing you good luck with it.

S.jpg

Guest ethan

Ethan had ripped his dew claw twice in a short period so I decided to have it removed and then decided to have them both removed--same amount of anesthesia time anyway and it worked out great. I don't know what he kept catching it on but it was very bloody and sore every time.

Kinda like with our nails, if it's injured badly enough, it never grows back right. My Keeva must have lost one of hers more than once & now it's just a little nubbie (one less to trim). If the vet doesn't think it's bad enough to be removed, I would tape them when she's meeting Olav (where are the pictures????). That's what they do for coursing sighthounds. So maybe there's not as much advantage to dew claws as one would think.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis