Monitoring Thyroid Meds

Guest suesmom

Guest suesmom

How do you decide that your grey is getting the right thyroid dose if T4 is not supposed to be a good measure of thyroid in greyhounds? Sue was originally diagnosed as hypothyroid based on fT4. I had asked the vet to do a "full panel", but they didn't send it off to MSU, so we didn't get the full picture. After months of testing T4, our vet didn't feel like she was seeing good enough response from the meds, as measured by T4 (last reading was 0.6), and referred us to an endocrinologist. We took Sue off her meds for a little more than 6 weeks, so that she could be retested. She just had her nuclear imaging scan this week, and she has NO thyroid activity at all, so she is back on her 0.6 dose twice a day, even before we have the results back from the MSU panel. Is there anything else out there that you use other than T4 to decide if the dosage is correct? Thanks!

T4 is fine for monitoring although it can also be helpful to run a TSH and make sure it's in normal range. It's a different case when you're medicating the dog versus evaluating native thyroid function. How are her symptoms?

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest suesmom

Too soon to tell how she's doing back on the meds. She has always had skin infections, thinning hair, extra lethargic (she's our third, so I'm used to lazy greys, but she's different). We never had any signs of aggression until we took her off meds. She started getting growly with people other than my husband and me, but only inside the home. She has had all the skin problems even when taking the meds . Thanks for your help!

Forgot to mention, she's a shy little girlie, but has made progress in the year we've had her

Edited by suesmom

We've monitored T4 all along but decided to do a full panel when there was frequent whining, esp. at night. That's how we found the fT4 pretty high. The TSH was low too. But TSH can be wrong, while fT4 never lies as far as I know. So in answer to your question, I think a fT4 add-on to blood work is a good way to monitor when there's a question, and it costs about $85.

Our Spencer did that defensive aggression thing too, among other symptoms, before we had him tested for thyroid years ago. It's disconcerting, to say the least. :unsure At least this time it was only whining! :wacko:

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

She just had her nuclear imaging scan this week, and she has NO thyroid activity at all, so she is back on her 0.6 dose twice a day, even before we have the results back from the MSU panel. Is there anything else out there that you use other than T4 to decide if the dosage is correct? Thanks!

I hope you'll share the MSU results with us when you get them.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

What kind of scan was done?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest suesmom

Excuse the possible spelling mistakes... She had thyroid scintigraphy using technetium. I had asked beforehand if the test was black and white or just a piece of the puzzle. They said it was usually just a piece of the puzzle. But her scan was pretty compelling. Not a single flash of activity in the thyroid. Tomorrow it will be a week since we were there, I will post the blood test results when I hear.

Ah. Doesn't mean she has no activity whatsoever, just low or impeded (various meds and some other medical conditions can do this IIRC). Hope you can get to the bottom of things and improve her symptoms!

For another opinoin after you get your results is to contact Dr. Jean Dodds at Hemopet in CA. She is an endorcrinologist who is a greyhound savy vet who keeps a log of various criteria such as sex, age, raced, neutered/spayed and all plays a roll on the thyroid. She recommends the full panel. Hope this helps. I've used her often for my girls and went to hear her talks. See the website at www.hemopet.com. You can email and ask for advise w/results.

Kathy

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

Guest suesmom

Got the blood test results:

TT4 12

TT3 .9

FT4 5. *** this is flagged as low (range 6-23)

FT3 6.8

T4 auto antibody 11

T3 auto antibody 6

TSH 23

Thyroglobulin auto antibody 7

So the only thing that looks low is FT4

Your dog is low in FT4 on the "all breeds" scale and not low at all for a greyhound. I'd say your dog is entirely normal in this respect and would discontinue the thyroid supplementation. If there's a physiological problem, it isn't here.