Rambunctious Pyr Puppy

I'm posting this here because some of you have Pyrs and Greys and also because I myself have zero experience with puppies in general.

We share our property with another couple that brought home a Great Pyrenees puppy in January. His name is Bear. He's now exactly 6 months old, and has been neutered. He's almost 65lbs to Tracker's 73. He and Tracker get along fine, as a matter of fact, Tracker couldn't be more indulgent with Bear. Bear will be all over him when they meet, and do all the puppy behaviors like licking, jumping up, trying to get to Tracker's muzzle. When we let them off leash in our fenced in field, Tracker goes off on his own, does his zoomies, and is ready to leave, and Bear is soooo disappointed that Tracker has zero interest in playing with him. Tracker will generally just stand there and get his face out of the way. He has truly had the patience of a saint, so far. No problems. I'd like to keep it that way.

My question: from what I understand, some Pyrs can get pretty intense as they mature, once their guarding instincts and strong will kick in. He's 6 months now. Is there anything that could come without warning from either side? For example, might Tracker feel soon that Bear is less of a puppy now and more of a force to be reckoned with and has to be put in his place? Might Bear soon think who's this light weight anyways and btw this is MY property?! I know this depends to some degree on their respective temperaments. But are there any guidelines? I am a bit concerned that Tracker might just loose it one day or Bear might become more challenging and then what? I imagine it could all be over with a quick growl and that's that, new rules established. But I don't want to think later "had I only been better prepared for this". And I don't want to live on my own property with two dogs who loathe each other.

Great P's are generally VERY easy going dogs.

I imagine if he's grown up with your dog, he's not going to suddenly see him as a challenger.

We had one at my old dog park when I had my mutt, Kramer. The Great P. was named Odin. He was so cute! And he was HUGE when he got to be full sized. His disposition never changed. I'm not sure he knew he was twice the size of all the dogs he grew up playing with.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Just to clarify: Bear is not growing up with us in our house. He's growing up with his owners in his own house, but both homes are only ca 50 yards apart. I run into Bear with Tracker maybe every other day, but this seems close enough to growing up "with" Tracker in the way he gets besides himself with joy when meeting Tracker. I just heard Pyrs can sometimes turn even on their own litter mates as they reach adolescence, but maybe that's more the case with still unneutered individuals.

Yes, they're HUGE!!

Guest WhiteWave

Every Great Pyrenees we've met have been really friendly. You wouldn't think they would be so popular in FL, but every rescue event we go to, Pry rescue is there with a bunch of dogs. Casper really likes them. He likes to poke them with his big mouth and he is big male dog. They have all been fine with him and my other dogs. Great Pyrenees were one of the breeds used to create the Dogo too, gives them their white coats. :)

Had a friend with one too, nice dog, died from osteosarcoma. Apparently it is very common in their breed too. :(

Edited by WhiteWave

Just to clarify: Bear is not growing up with us in our house. He's growing up with his owners in his own house, but both homes are only ca 50 yards apart. I run into Bear with Tracker maybe every other day, but this seems close enough to growing up "with" Tracker in the way he gets besides himself with joy when meeting Tracker. I just heard Pyrs can sometimes turn even on their own litter mates as they reach adolescence, but maybe that's more the case with still unneutered individuals.

Yes, they're HUGE!!

If you share a yard/land, then really, he IS growing up with your dog. He'll see him every day, interact with him every day. It's not the same thing as randomly running into a particular dog every few months!

I expect all will be just fine and your dog will have a very big, hairy friend with four dew claws!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck