Um...did I Break My Puppy's Ear!?!

Guest Roadtripper

Guest Roadtripper

Hi, Cairo, my 6mos old grey puppy, had a small bit of skin come off the inside of her ear & it wouldn't stop bleeding yesterday. Thank you to everyone who got me through my first "crisis" (see my "Help - Bleeding Ear" thread. I know it really wasn't a crisis, but it sure felt like it at the time).

After a whole day and half the night of wrapping her ear to her head, inside out, to stop the bleeding & prevent a hematoma (and having to do it over again everytime she got up and the bandage shifted off her head), the bleeding finally stopped for good around 1:30am, so I left it unbandaged with a little cornstarch sprinkled on, and we both went to bed.

So far today the wound hasn't re-opened, but now that ear flops down way more than it used to. She normally has it staying erect with just the tip flopped over, but now it flops over half-way. Did I break her ear?!? :(

My brother-in-law once told me he had been playing with a friend's shepherd puppy & started playing with the ears, and the friend freaked out on him saying you shouldn't do that with a puppy because it will make it so their ears don't stand up. Can this happen?

Any thoughts are appreciated. I know it's not broken it a traditional painful way, but just wondering if it will go back to normal, or if this is now a permanent change, maybe because her ear is still developing. I'll love her no matter what, of course, but I really liked her erect ears--it made her look like an exotic Egyptian jackal.

Thanks as always,

Paranoid-grey-mom Amy, and flop-eared Cairo

PS - "Before" pics of my girl:

Cairocollar-1.jpg

iphone3-12to4-4-12016-1.jpg

Edited by Roadtripper

Guest BlueCrab

Oh good lord she's cute. No advice on the ear, just a really REALLY cute pup!

But I lurk on a German Shepherd site and had to learn about GSD ears as I had no idea that their stand-up ears develop over time!

**OMG she is so totally adorable.** I highly doubt you have "broken" it. However, at a certain point things as minor as trimming off some hair can encourage an ear to stand up straight so my guess is your girl's ear is down simply because of the wound. **OMG she is so totally adorable. And look, her toy & collar are color coordinated.**

As for messing up a GSD puppy's ears by playing with them a little, I'm not buying that. Sounds like folk lore to me. Perhaps if done repeatedly & for prolonged periods such that you break down some of the connective tissue but not a little play session with a visitor. You were in no danger of damaging the ears of your friend's dog.

Your girl's situation is different. **OMG she is so totally adorable.** Likely once this is healed her ear will begin to stand up again. There could be exceptions but those would more common if a significant amount of tissue damage was done & resulting scar tissue prevented the ear from returning to it's natural position.

**OMG she is so totally adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

Edited by kudzu