Newly Adopted Girl Peeing In Crate

Guest overheadfire

Guest overheadfire

Hey guys - this is my first post here so any advice would be most appreciated!

About four weeks ago, we adopted a five year old female retired-racer from a private home. The previous owner had picked her up from a local RSPCA so we're not sure if she was dropped there directly from the track, but she does have a history of racing. We don't know much about her previous owner or their habits - what we do know is she shared the house with a male Whippet, was not crated and according to the owner, did not have any outstanding behavioural problems. When picked her up she was pretty under weight and COVERED in fleas so we brought her home and immediately gave her a bath, took her to the vet to get the flea problem sorted out and got her settled in with some high-quality food and lots of soft beds. She's flea-free, at a healthy weight and is really settling in well. The only problem we've started having is her peeing in her crate and on a rug near the door when she's left alone. We have the crate in our living room and she will sleep in it (with the door open) and has even started taking her stuffed toys, rawhides and other goodies to the crate. She sleeps in our bedroom on her own bed at night and apart from the first couple of nights when she woke us up, is able to sleep 8 hours or so without having to go out. I work from home, so am home for much of the day and I walk her twice a day (morning and evening). She's only in the crate/by herself in the house for a couple of hours, two or three times a week and about 6 hours one night a week. We make sure she's walked and played with outside before we leave and she's always gone pee and poop outside before each accident.

The first time we noticed she had peed was when I accidentally stepped on a sodden rug the next morning - we never smelled a thing! She had peed on the rug that sits next to the door that leads to the backyard (where she has her run and potty area). She has done this twice now, once during a 6 hour away period and another when we had been gone for about 8 hours. We decided to try crating her to see if it would help and she peed (as far as I can tell) just the once in her crate, again while we were gone for about 6 hours. One of the biggest problems with detecting her accidents is that her urine is not very smelly - and I have a very keen nose for the smell! This makes it difficult for me to tell if a wet spot is from her gnarly rawhide or an accident.

I'm wondering if there is anything we can do to curb this habit or if it's just me being a little paranoid and will work itself out as she gets used to being crated? Thanks for any help!

More experienced people than me will chime in but..... have you done any alone training? Stepping up from only being alone for a couple of hours to 6 - 8 hours is a BIG step. We found our number 1 Brandi was fine being alone for up to 4 hours. After that, we had accidents. This is a dog who will sleep for 15 hours without a problem, so capacity isn't the issue. Emotional state is. We know this because, even now, if she's anxious, nervous, scared or excited (like from me coming home after a particularly long day at work) she will pee. Lots of alone training, working up gradually, consistency and calmness are the only things that work for us.

Guest newgreymombeth

I would recommend recording her while you are gone. I've been recording my new boy, Bo, while I'm at work and it's helped a lot thus far. You can see if she's having a difficult time being alone by pacing, drooling, crying, etc. You know she's urinating. I doubt it's a medical issue, sounds more like anxiety being alone. Alone training is really helpful. There is a great little book I found on Amazon called I'll be home soon and it has a great step by step guide on alone training and dealing with separation anxiety issues.

Guest Trammell

I video taped mine too. I live in an apt and was worried she might be crying. When I first started leaving her for work, I left her for the same amount of time that she doesnt go potty when we are at home, so I thought she would be fine. After she had a few accidents, by watching the video I was able to determine how many hours before she started asking out (whining for us :( ) I came home a little bit before than (I work thirty mins away if there isn't traffic, but there is, even during the day, sigh) I would walk her, then put her back in and go back to work. I gradually worked up til the time I really need to be away. I used a gradual approach with my other two dogs, it worked for them too (the video tape made it much easier)

My boss also told me about some doggie cam that he has access to from computers, and an app on his phone. I have the link and name in email, could dig it up if u would like. The camera is expensive, but then u don't pay for the service to view, I like that it has an app, and will be getting it to watch my IG with cancer. That way the IT department doesn't see me going to the website during work... I am Not stealing company time, I work tons if overtime and am salaried, so I am not concerned about that, just don't want to use their resources for personal use.

You will get great advice from some very experienced owners (not me, i am new to a Grey, but not with their mini version Iggies). Congrats on your new Grey, pictures?????

Guest mirthlesstroll

It does sound like SA. The "I'll be Home Soon" book is a great resource! You can leave a Kong toy filled with peanut butter and kibble, canned dog food and yogurt, or any combination that she likes - freeze it overnight to make it last longer.

Do you leave a radio or the TV on for her? Sometimes the quiet is too much, or sudden, weird noises freak them out - Greys are used to music loud enough to drown out sounds from outside the kennel building at the track.

Just sounds like 6-8 hours is too long for her to last except overnight. She couldn't get outside where she knew she should go, so she just went as near to there as she could get when she couldn't wait any longer. Seems to me she's trying to be a good girl, to be honest.

Sue from England

Always, always, always check out a medical issue FIRST. Believe me, it's a lot easier to fix if she has a mild UTI!

I hope when you said "I walk her twice a day" you didn't mean you only take her OUT twice a day? I'm assuming two long walks, and then other potty breaks?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck