New Food Suits Finicky Dog

Guest sirsmom

Guest sirsmom

Like always, my finicky girl finally got tired of the iams.p-one. I picked up a very small bag of Ideal Balance by SD to try and can't believe how much she loves it. Must be the pork fat in it. So, I'm going to see if this is a keeper or just a "It's new so I love it for a few weeks" kind of food. I do like the ingredients (ours do well with soy and wheat):

Chicken, brown rice, whole grain wheat, cracked pearl barley, soybean meal, chicken meal, pork fat main ingredients.Also includes some fruits and veg. farther down the line

Analysis, Protein 21.5%, Crude fat 12.5%, fiber 3.5% Moisture 10%, Ash 5.5%, Linoleic Acid 2.0%, Calcium 0.5%, Phosphorus0.42%, vit. E 400 IU, Ascorbic Acid 85 mg/kg, Omega 3 0.3% and omega 6 2.5%.

Just passing this on for those having a problem with a fussy eater, a senior or a recuperating grey. It's not cheap (this 4 lb bag was $9.00 but coupons availabe all the time) so we may be using this as a topper.

Guest aowam

That's the same bag I picked up for my boy, but he pickily decided that he didn't like it and wouldn't touch it again after the first meal. >_< You can actually get up to $12.99 back in rebates if you go to their site. Here's a link: http://www.hillspet.com/ideal-balance/ideal-balance-home.html. I just got my rebate even though he didn't like the food. I'm glad yours likes it!

Just out of curiosity, which iams did she decide she didn't like anymore? Bcause now he's on Iams Simple and Natural, haha.

Guest sirsmom

That's the same bag I picked up for my boy, but he pickily decided that he didn't like it and wouldn't touch it again after the first meal. >_< You can actually get up to $12.99 back in rebates if you go to their site. Here's a link: http://www.hillspet.com/ideal-balance/ideal-balance-home.html. I just got my rebate even though he didn't like the food. I'm glad yours likes it!

Just out of curiosity, which iams did she decide she didn't like anymore? Bcause now he's on Iams Simple and Natural, haha.

She got tired of her 1/2 Iams Lamb and 1/2 Purina One Chicken.

i learned many many years ago that a dog will eventually eat. my first saluki was a really picky eater...so i thought. but now that i reflect upon it, if he gained any weight he stopped eating. when he lost the tiny bit of weight he ate again. salukis tend to stay thin and only really fill out after 5 years of age. when i had him i was mortified that he was going to starve. also i couldn't take the comments that i was starving my dog, young salukis are very very thin by nature. i tried everything until i finally said,"this is it!" at the time kennel-bisket was a better quality kibble(these are the days before science diet or any of the other brands, it was purina, kennel-bisket or triumph in the area i resided in).i put it dry in a bowl and left it down for 5 minutes. he didn't eat, i picked it up. put it down the next day. kata got the picture and he didn't starve, learned to eat like a normal dog and ate one meal a day. no add ons, just kibble and sunflower oil or old fashioned linatone for his coat.

to this day i NEVER add canned food to kibble. but for the greys i wet it. my other saluki was a hoot when boarded at the vet- he was served moist food- kibble,water & canned food. he refused to eat till given dry kibble.