Nutrisource Grain Free

Guest WhiteWave

Guest WhiteWave

A local store is carrying this food. Anyone ever feed it? I was thinking of trying it. I had been feeding the Greyhounds Native Level 3 b/c Riddick was so active he needed a performance food, but Ronon really doesn't. I have 1 bag left so I'll finish it up. Rebel is hard to keep weight on too so I've been feeding it to him as well.

3 of my other dogs have food sensitivities and do better on grain free/potato free foods. This one seems to be the most economical food that doesn't have grains or potatoes. A lot cheaper than Evo herring they are eating now.

http://www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/nutrisource/products/gf_seafood

Salmon, menhaden fishmeal, peas, pea flour, pea starch, flax seeds, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural turkey and chicken flavor, sunflower oil, alfalfa meal, calcium carbonate, tomato pomace, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, dried brewers yeast, salt, minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, selenium yeast), choline chloride, taurine, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), glucosamine hydrochloride, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), chondroitin sulfate, yucca schidigera extract, calcium iodate, rosemary extract, yeast culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtillis fermentation product

http://www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/nutrisource/products/gf_heartland

Bison, chicken, chicken meal, peas, pea flour, pea starch, menhaden fishmeal, sunflower meal, alfalfa meal, flax seeds, sunflower oil, natural turkey and chicken flavor, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), tomato pomace, tapioca flour, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, dried brewers yeast, pea protein, salt, minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, selenium yeast), choline chloride, taurine, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), glucosamine hydrochloride, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), chondroitin sulfate, yucca schidigera extract, calcium iodate, rosemary extract, yeast culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtillis fermentation product.

Guest sheila

I didn't feed that particular formula. However when NutirSource became available locally I thought it looked like a good deal and would save me the 60 mile round trips to the city. Unfortunately though the bags were always close dated or outdated and since most kibble has a shelf life of about a yr I didn't make the switch.

Guest WhiteWave

These are fresh, in date bags. It is a small fancy dog boutique and she only orders small amounts of the food she carries (Orijen, Acana, Evo, Canidae, etc.)

I may try a bag and see. I had gotten samples of their performance formula, but it is not sold anywhere near me and they said they can't order it b/c the distributor doesn't have it. But they have the Nutrisource grain free and the Purevita formulas made by the same company.

NutriSource is on Whole Dog Journal's list of Approved Dry Foods of 2012.* :)

(Published Feb. 2012)

I haven't tried NutriSource personally, and I didn't notice the caloric content per cup on their Web site, but I believe average daily caloric need for "pet" Greyhounds at moderate activity level is approx. 27 calories per pound of dog.

E.g., 65 pound Greyhound needs 1,755 calories per day.

(Subject to increase/decrease with age and activity level. Healthy to see last 2 ribs.)

One side comment since you mentioned having 3 dogs with food sensitivities. If your dogs have never had bison, it's sometimes helpful to reserve a less common protein meat (like bison) to use if a vet recommended elimination diet is needed to test for allergies, etc.

Example: A dog with IBD who can't tolerate usual protein sources (chicken, lamb, fish, etc.) may benefit from veterinarian guided testing of eliminating all proteins the dog has ever tried to date, then starting new single unique proteins one-by-one.

*Source: Approved Dry Foods of 2012: www.whole-dog-journal.com

Guest WhiteWave

My dogs eat a wide variety of proteins as they eat a lot of raw food plus different kibble/cans. We have no digestive issues, just skin and most the vet feels is flea/atopic allergies. And the Greyhounds have no issues. It is my Rat Terrier, French Bulldog and Dogo Argentino. Right now it is being controlled using Comfortis, Zyrtec, benadryl, and EFA's for Circe and Rocky. Casper just gets major tear stains and I started giving him apple cidar vinegar in his food and it seems to be working, but i notice if I miss one day, the staining comes back. But there allergies seem to be less severe on some foods vs others. We normally avoid chicken, wheat, soy, beef, corn, for those 3. The other can eat whatever. We feed multiple foods having 8 dogs.

The Native is 500kcal/cup. Evo Herring is 516kcal/cup. This food is 432kcal/cup. So a little lower, but since Riddick is gone, my others all gain weight easy and summer is coming up so they will be a little less active. So they can probably eat the same amount and loose a little weight.

But even being easy keepers, my dogs are extremely active most of the year (except for a few months in the hottest part of summer). The Greyhounds probably exercise more so than when racing. A race is what 30 seconds every other day or so? Mine run for hours and hours over 4000 acres at least 2-3 times a week, plus run and play in the yard daily.

Rebel tires quickly as he is still used to racing, not endurance of running for hours. He will build up. Ronon can go all day now after 3 yrs of working up to it. He is going to be 7 and he can outrun Rebel 2 yrs in a sprint race and Ronon keeps going and Rebel lays down! But with him being so young, he will be fine in a few months. :)

Sounds like it will be a good food to try, especially going into hot months. Please let us know what you think about it after you switch. Thanks for the calorie info too.

Re: "He is going to be 7 and he can outrun Rebel 2 yrs in a sprint race and Ronon keeps going and Rebel lays down!"

This reminds me of our then 8 year old brood mom out running our 2 year old when she arrived. Guess that's why she was a brood mom! :)

It is a great food, but all formulas contain some form of chicken or fish so it hasn't worked for a few of my allergy customers. They do have a frequent buyer program, so you can figure out which formula works for all of your dogs and you can mix and match to get your free bag. Quite a few of our customers have switched from Taste of the Wild over to NutriSource because of it-but the ones who need a simpler formula have stayed with Taste of the Wild. Your store should be able to get you sample bags to try for your sensitive houndie.

Guest cruzNhounds

Tried it, no GI troubles , firm stools and nice coats. The girls loved it!! But my source (local natural pet store) had troubles getting in. Now we feed Costco's grain free (red bag) same results with no hassle getting it or ever running out....knock on wood :wife

Guest WhiteWave

Thanks. We went to the Pet Expo in Tampa and got a tons of samples off all kinds of food, this one included. Dogs liked both flavors, but all dogs preferred Blue Buffalo Chicken/rice. Go figure!

We don't have a Costco near by. Closest one is 50 miles and the price of gas and membership fee defeats any savings.

We may still try the Nutrisource. Circe has started eating her own poop on Evo. :( I caught her yesterday and was extremely grossed out. To my knowledge she has never done this before. The vet said it could be due to the high protein in Evo like cat food and hence the reason cat poop is so tasty to dogs.