Corns (Again)

There's a vet program on local radio, and today I asked a question about Jack's corns. Here's what the vet said:

--he should be checked to see if it's a problem with his gait causing the corns [uh, he's a greyhound, is horizontal most of the time....his gait has been affected BY the corns, I doubt it's his gait that CAUSED the corns]

--he should be on a fatty acid supplement, such as salmon oil [would this work?? Could he take the fish oil supplement that I take, or does he need something different?]

--use Bag Balm [have used it, though not consistently]

--maybe see a dermatologist

What do you all think? A dermatologist?? I have never heard that recommended, nor has our VERY grey-savvy vet ever recommended it!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Can't remember if he has them hulled regularly?

If he ever needs to be put under for anything, I'd try what we did with Zema's -- hull and then laser the cavity.

The gait thing might not be a total stretch -- Zema's corn developed on the leg she'd hurt a couple years before. She didn't have a noticeable limp but I think the scar tissue on that ankle did feel funny to her from time to time.

Bag Balm wasn't a help to us in eliminating the corn but keeping the pad soft did help delineate the boundaries of corn vs. pad so it could be hulled sooner. Also helped to show when/where there was callus building up around the corn -- we had to trim that a time or two.

Best luck with Jack's corns!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytchloe

I brought my grey, Chava, to see a dermatologist for her corns. His recommendation was to do laser removal of the corns. We did not try it for a few reasons...

One was because the way it was explained to me, it could create scar tissue in the pad; I was concerned that could cause a permanent sensitive spot with the same effects as the corn. I also did not quite believe the success rates being claimed, especially compared to what I have read on Greytalk. And, I wasn't very comfortable with the vet--his eagerness to do the laser surgery and his impatience regarding even talking about any other possibilities/alternatives.

I also brought her to a very good orthopedic vet, wondering the same thing as you about the gait causing the corns. He examined her thoroughly, and could not find anything wrong that could cause that, such as with her spine or other joint problems, but he said it would be extremely difficult to know this especially because the gait he was observing was now a result of the corns. He did not think surgery was successful enough to try except in very extreme cases.

We have tried a gazillion non-surgical treatments, and had the best luck with Lori Rose Homeopathic treatments. Chava's corns almost disappeared on this. Unfortunately we stopped because she was having other health issues, but her corns are still much better. Now I just hull once in a while, have been putting Burts Bees hand salve on some overnights, and she wears Baby socks on one stubborn paw when we are walking on pavement.

Good luck!

corns are discussed in this greyhound health packet

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.