Slippery Elm

XTRAWLD

Instead of giving Pepcid to Kasey, how effective in comparison is Slippery Elm? I'm considering buying some in powder format as opposed to pills to reduce his throat irritation and acid. The cheapest I've found famotide is $9 for 30 pills and he's currently getting it once a day, so $9 for a month treatment isn't that bad). It seems to work reasonably well on his stomach but I do notice some throat irritation still. When he was on sucralfate for a week, he did not have a throat problem when eating. My understanding is slippery elm helps to coat the throat and stomach, so I'd get double duty. Now he has no allergy to that tree (i assume its a derivitive of a tree?) that I am aware of (yes, he's even allergic to trees and grass apparently) but I will certainly do a final check before purchasing. I'm wondering about the success rate of Elm vs. Pepcid. Thanks!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I give Timo both. Not sure about whether they help the throat, though. I buy generic Pepcid from costco. It's ridiculously cheap ... about $10 for around 200 pills, maybe? I don't remember the exact number. And, they are double strength, so I just use a pill cutter and cut them in half. I add half a pill to each meal, and I add a rounded 1/4 tsp of slippery elm powder to each meal, as well. But, I also add l-glutamine, a probiotic, fish oil capsule, glucosamine/chondroitin, and shredded dried beet pulp to each meal. I've finally figured out a good combination of supplements for his tummy (we had a serious bout of gastroenteritis 1.5 years ago), and I have been giving him pepcid ever since. I have only recently added the slippery elm and other supplements, but gotta say, we now have rolling-down-the-hill firm poops. Finally! B)

Thanks. This powder format says to space it out for 2 hours with any meds because of absorption. I've attached the description here. It's from the same place I get the GLM for Ryder.

SlipperyElm.jpg

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Guest NewGreyOwner

I have used the slippery elm liquid in lieu of pepcid, and it seemed to work very well. You just put the drops into the food. Where did you find the powder form?

I have never used it for stomach/throat issues but have used it for firming ups tools and it works wonders :) It was a whole process of boiling it with water twice and adding honey. I hope it works, i find the natural remedies often work better than the over the counter stuff.

I have used the slippery elm liquid in lieu of pepcid, and it seemed to work very well. You just put the drops into the food. Where did you find the powder form?

From Farah at Raw Paw. Just love her! http://rawpaw.ca/

Proudly owned by: