I V Lesson 101, Please

Sorcha

Another cat veteran here too. I think everyone's covered all the important stuff. Only suggestion I can think of is ask if Lactated Ringer soultion can be used instead of Normosol-R. I know on the CRF list I'm on people said their cats reacted to the Normosol-R. but not the LRS. Seems the Normosol-R. can sting. It does get easier and it really does help to relax but that is the hardest thing to do when things aren't going well.

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

Just PM'd you.

Is the liquid cold? When the vet gave Sunshine some she was shivering like she had flies on her skin cause it felt funny to her. It was colder than her body temp and her skin was stretching obviously. We just got it done as quick as possible for her.

If you can get her to drink water do you need to IV? If you put a few cups of water mixed in with her food does she slurp it all up? Luckily my girls will. B)

Yes, the liquid is cold.

She is not a good water drinker. Unless I spike it with Lactaid milk, then she will give it a go. She needs the fluids. The day she was at the vet she received 600 ml and was like a new dog.

... My vet showed me to make a little tent like with the skin, pull some up like you would if you were testing for dehydration and then kind of push one end in making a little dent. Then put the needle in there. ...

Yes, that's how my vet showed me.

Sterile practices aside, a good reason to use a new needle each time is because the needles get duller each time you use them, even after one use. ...

Use new tubing and a new needle. ...

I always use a new needle each time. Vet said I could use the same line, I don't have another but was going to get a new one when I buy the next bag.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice and support.

Edited by Sorcha

Guest Greytluv

Can I just keep re-using the line, or should I buy a new one with each bag?

My vet said to use the same line for 5 bags. I always keep an extra one on hand. I always use a new needle. Mine are green :dunno They gave me pink ones and the flow was so slow. Took forever to get 250 cc into her.

Sterile practices aside, a good reason to use a new needle each time is because the needles get duller each time you use them, even after one use. This may not bother some dogs but it will definitely make a difference for others. Since I can actually feel more resistance & dogs tend to be stoic I would prefer to always use a new needle. Besides, needles are pennies apiece. JMHO

:nod

Guest Energy11

Depending in the manufacturer,the pinks are 20 gauge, and the drip will be less. The smaller the number, the bigger the "needle." 18 gauge is optimal for getting fluids in quickly, but your vet probably gave you the 20s, because they are "kinder."

As everyone has said, it will get easier the more you do it! :)

Guest buttonwillow

Sub-Q yes, in an IV bag thing. It's Normosol-R.

Sorry, meant to say I only got 100 ml in. Should have been 150 - 200 ml. (My brain was thinking the numbers on the bag, 1 = 100 ml, etc.) I did try moving the line, and adjusting the needle without removing it but still could not get anymore fluid to go in.

How can I warm it up? I can't imagine it can go in the microwave?

Thanks.

At $22 a bag through the vet I don't want to mess this up! Yes, I know, I need to look into getting the vet to write me a RX to get them for less from the pharmacy.

Haha, no not the microwave. Put the bag in a large bowl or pot of warm water (not on the stove though, just warm/hot water from the tap) about 20 min before you give it to kitty. (er, doggie)

You can definitely order fluids online for less than that. I'll look up where we got ours from.

200ml is a bit of a lot, how big is your cat? What are her numbers?

Do you know this site... very very helpful. http://www.felinecrf.org/

Oh sorry it's a dog. I'm a moron, I forgot. Nevermind. :blush

Edited by buttonwillow

Another cat veteran here too. I think everyone's covered all the important stuff. Only suggestion I can think of is ask if Lactated Ringer soultion can be used instead of Normosol-R. I know on the CRF list I'm on people said their cats reacted to the Normosol-R. but not the LRS. Seems the Normosol-R. can sting. It does get easier and it really does help to relax but that is the hardest thing to do when things aren't going well.

I also highly recommend lactated Ringer solution. Tried a different type for my dog (don't remember the name but it was cheaper) and she definitely didn't like it. When I talked to a vet tech friend of mind she commented that she had heard that the cheaper type (still can't remember the name) can cause a burning sensation.

Anyway, I found that the OSU pharmacy had great prices on lactated ringers (about $1.50 per liter bag). I used the green B-D needles (I think size 18). Just used the needles once, but used the line kit for about a week each. I was very careful not to let the needle end of the line kit (or the end that inserted into the bag) touch anything but the sterile needle. If it did, I changed it out. In Ohio, you can get syringes/needles without a script. I assume that means you should be able to get just the needle without a script too. Probably varies by state though.

Also wanted to mention that once I got the pink needles (one size smaller) and the drip was far too slow. My dog needed 400 to 500 mL at a time, it would have taken about 35 minutes -- far too slow.

You could also try freezing peanut butter in a kong toy for your dog to work on while you are giving the fluids.

It does get easier. It seems that once the initial stick was done, she was comfortable (I did warm the fluids in a bowl of warm water).

Jane