Hot Spot? Staph Infection?

Guest JJGrey

Typing on my phone so apologies for typos! My boy has had what looks like an abrasion on his groin that I noticed on Friday.

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x458/sschneikart/Skin1.jpg

He's licking it and he doesn't want me messing with it. I read the forum for about an hour last nite and consequently gave 25mg of benadryl am and pm. I also put peroxide and neosporin. Should I muzzle him while I'm at work so he can't lick? I made a vet appt for 530 tomorrow but I'd really appreciate your opinions since I can't get into my preferred vet at the practice. Also id like to know if she is suggesting the correct course of action. Should I suggest a swab to make sure its staph? I'm

thinking staph infection. Thanks in advance for your input!

Saskia and jay jay

Guest Energy11

This looks a little "nasty."

To really tell if it is a Staph infection, it would have to be cultured at the vet. You COULD muzzle him, and keep this covered (using the antibacterial ointment and a large bandaid) for a few days, but if it doesn't start healing soon, I would get it looked at, as he might need antibiotics, etc.

Good Luck, and yes, the constant licking will keep irritating it.

Guest Energy11

Sorry about the nasty factor. I probably should have put a disclaimer in the original post!

Trust me:) "nasty" doesn't bother me! I am a retired paramedic :)

I meant, it looks pretty sore, etc., and could be something more. If you can keep him from licking, I'd maybe treat and cover for a few days, and go from there. Again, good luck!

That doesn't look like a hot spot to me. I'm thinking it's something along the lines of staph also. Hopefully you can get him treated tomorrow when you see the vet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Dog walker just called and said it took her 5 minutes to find it because this afternoon it "looks just like a shaved spot". I guess that's why it took me 3 days to locate it once I noticed it the first time. Sounds like I should bandage it ASAP to keep him from licking!

Guest Energy11

Do you remember what kind of ABs?

Vets usually give Keflex for skin infections. I'd be sure there is an infection, before starting him on this. Like humans, antibiotics can cause stomach symptoms and diarrhea. They can also develop an immunity to the antibiotic, if given too often. I am sure this will turn out just fine.

Sending hugs your way!