Is It Fair, When You Have Multiple Dogs....

Guest FrankieWylie

All of mine (plus the foster when I have one) are crated except for my mixed breed Corey. Corey doesn't get into anything, so he's allowed loose, and I don't have room for another crate. He's the one who might think it's not fair because he doesn't have his own crate! When I'm home and everyone's out, Corey's the one I'm most likely to find resting in a crate.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

As others said, I don't think they think in terms of fair......do whatever works for your pack, when I adopted Karma I had both muzzled for a while, until it was clear we had no issues. From then on both got left out, no muzzles.....When we adopted the Pyr, we crated her the first month or so, now all three stay out without problems.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's perfectly appropriate to treat dogs differently if you're doing what is appropriate to each dogs' needs.

That said - I also feel that a crate is a training tool, to be used until you train a dog to learn to be uncrated in a household.

But - all dogs ARE differnet, and the important thing is to meet EACH dogs individuals needs.

Guest hollyhound2000

When I first got my greyhound, he was crated, but the other two dogs, goldens, were penned into the room with him so he was not alone. After a while, I just left the crate open added a bunch of extra dogs beds, and gate the whole room off. I have a pet cam and can watch them! They are all relaxed and just play round-robin beds all day.

Edited by hollyhound2000

Guest budsmom

When we first got our 2nd, she was crated until she learned the rules, but both are loose now. I think the most important thing is to make sure they're in the same room, even if one is crated & one is loose. That way they don't feel separated and still have their companion, especially if one has any kind of SA.