Natural Balance Synergy

Guest greyers

Guest greyers

Anyone ever tried the new Natural Balance Synergy food? http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/Synergy.html

Yesterday I went with hubby to the pet food store to pick up our order so that he didn't have to deal with the "pushy holistic feeding folks" alone (see my husband is lucky thread if interested). I think he had an experience with the son of the owner and perhaps he was more pushy? But the owner herself was the nicest, most down to earth lady who totally "GETS" it regarding dog food and what works for each dog individually. She was wonderful and even though it is out of our way, I will frequent them.

So anyway while discussing dog food with her she mentioned that if the Precise we ordered doesn't work for Rego's sensitive tummy that I might want to consider a new food by Natural Balance called "synergy". She said some of her clients have had excellent results on this food, when other foods have all led to soft poop and digestive issues. She said the key is that it has psyllium seeds in it as part of the fiber source (has beet pulp too). She said that many of the dogs took a few days to get over soft poop on it as their body adjusted, but then had excellent results after that and it had been a godsend for some of them.

So just thought I would start a thread and see if anyone has tried this food in case it might help folks on here with future options.

Edited by greyers

I don't have any experience with their Synergy line, but I have a friend who had tried all sorts of foods for her greyhound with IBD-type symptoms. Her vet recommended the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient foods to her. All her issues have now cleared up -- no more diarrhea, soft stool, gastric distress, etc. I can't remember which one, but she's either on the bison or the venison now.

Shortly after her positive experience I tried it for one of mine who had developed horrible dry, itchy skin and inflamed ears. The Limited Ingredient Fish and Potato did the trick. She seems to have developed sensitivity to chicken, turkey, and to a lesser extent duck. If she eats any of those protein sources or foods with grains in them and she starts scratching like mad and gets an ear infection.

It can be a long and frustrating road to finding the right food. My friend's vet recommended the Limited Ingredient line to help narrow down more quickly potential problematic ingredients. The Synergy line is a multiple protein source food (chicken and lamb) and multiple grain (rice, barley, oatmeal). Your dog's issue may not have anything to do with grain or protein sensitivity and may respond well to the additional fiber alone, but it's something to be aware of if you've tried a lot of different foods with no success.

Good luck with whatever you decide to try. It's a beautiful thing when find the right food.

ETA: I am now feeding my grey TOTW Pacific Stream and it works great for her. The Limited ingredient trial helped me figure out which ingredients were causing problems for her.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest greyers

I don't have any experience with their Synergy line, but I have a friend who had tried all sorts of foods for her greyhound with IBD-type symptoms. Her vet recommended the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient foods to her. All her issues have now cleared up -- no more diarrhea, soft stool, gastric distress, etc. I can't remember which one, but she's either on the bison or the venison now.

Shortly after her positive experience I tried it for one of mine who had developed horrible dry, itchy skin and inflamed ears. The Limited Ingredient Fish and Potato did the trick. She seems to have developed sensitivity to chicken, turkey, and to a lesser extent duck. If she eats any of those protein sources or foods with grains in them and she starts scratching like mad and gets an ear infection.

It can be a long and frustrating road to finding the right food. My friend's vet recommended the Limited Ingredient line to help narrow down more quickly potential problematic ingredients. The Synergy line is a multiple protein source food (chicken and lamb) and multiple grain (rice, barley, oatmeal). Your dog's issue may not have anything to do with grain or protein sensitivity and may respond well to the additional fiber alone, but it's something to be aware of if you've tried a lot of different foods with no success.

Good luck with whatever you decide to try. It's a beautiful thing when find the right food.

ETA: I am now feeding my grey TOTW Pacific Stream and it works great for her. The Limited ingredient trial helped me figure out which ingredients were causing problems for her.

thanks for the info! And yes, I did notice the multiple protein sources which makes it BAD for allergy elimination trials and also if one is uncertian if a particular protein source is causing the digestion issues. My last male was an allergy dog and actually he did HORRIBLE on all the natural balance foods and my female had soft stool. So I haven't tried this brand for years.

I thought the psyllium was the really unusual thing and thus wondered if other have tried this food.

As for my Rego man, we are trialing the Precise Chicken that just came in after we ordered it. I have fingers crossed that will be the answer and we won't even need the synergy! Just thought I would ask and put the word out on this option since that woman said she has heard positive feedback from may customers who have sensitive tummy doggies.