Our Greyhound Bit My Wife

Guest Harefoot

Guest betheab199

I dremel the dogs' nails myself- only sometimes if I'm too busy, or it's convenient, I get a groomer or vet to do them.

I have to agree with many of the posters- there were a lot of warning signs there before the bite but unfortunately, you just weren't aware at the time. You were just trying to do something necessary in the care of your greyhound. If anything, I would say don't take the bite personally just learn from it- and maybe until some confidence is restored, consider having it professionally done.

Usually I start with the weiner dogs first when I do dremel b/c they are squirmy and by the time I've finished, Cookie comes over to investigate and wait for her turn. I put the muzzle on- I feel much better doing that. She doesn't seem to care, either. She'll usually lay down willingly and I'll start her front. She usually pulls her feet away a few times and I try to adjust my positioning so it's comfortable. If I have her legs stretched out too far or in an odd position, she'll pull away if I don't adjust.

I don't dremel on her bed, any furniture, or our beds- it's on the floor in the living room, which is pretty much public territory. I've tried dremeling standing up, but she doesn't seem to like it.

If she starts pulling away too much or getting too antsy, I stop. I'm usually almost done anyways, but I figure I don't want to push her anymore beyond that and ruin it for next time's experience.

Good luck with everything. Hopefully this experience hasn't completely eroded your confidence and I would definitely try and follow some of the suggestions. Maybe at some point, work up to nail clipping again with baby steps. There are a ton of good suggestions and encouragement here.

Hey, someone else with greys and wieners!! You must be as crazy as we are!!! We just have 1 of each right now. And my grey is much easier than the dachshund, not just in the nail trimming dept. :blink:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic