Broken Nail

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

Ok so Beckett ripped off his nail. At least thats what it looks like. But he wont let me touch it or try and clean it. So i put it in a rubber clove and covered it with a sock. It bleed a lot. I mean he ruined 2 pillows a sheet the mattress cover and a blanket. Not to mention soaked a towel. So my question is do I need to head to the vet? How can I prevent future accidents? and How can I fix them when they do occur. Ive attached the picture of his paw.

photo1.jpg

Is it still bleeding? If so, I'd try to put on a bandage snug enough that it applies some pressure to the area, but obviously not too tight. These can bleed a lot at first but usually heal up just fine. The nail may look a little abnormal if/when it grows back.

If it continues to bleed and you can't get it to stop, it may be a good idea to head to the e-vet, but most of these do stop on their own, even if you're not able to bandage. Keeping nails short will reduce the chances of them getting caught on things and breaking, but sometimes it can still happen.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Deucie did this a few months ago. I stuffed a "girl" pad in the toe of a sock, crammed her foot in the sock and changed it a few times. Then I stuffed a clean "girl" pad in the toe of a bootie and she wore it for about a week, changing the pad a couple of times a day. I think by the second day there was no more blood and by the third day no more seeping. She healed fine and the nail has grown back, though it is a bit wonky now.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****