How To Get My Grey Excited About Going For Walks?

Guest JENuine

Guest JENuine

Hello, everyone! We have had our first greyhound now for about four months and, while every week it seems we see strides in her adjustment and happiness level, I am still dealing with one particular problem that doesn't seem to be improving much: being enthused and cooperative about morning walks. I think she thinks that if she just lies on her bed quietly and tries to make herself look as small as possible, I will forget she is there and in need of walking! Additionally, she seems so focused on *not* going that she is not distractable by really good treats or squeaking a favorite toy to encourage her to stand up. (Once she stands up, I can usually maneuever her wherever I want to go.) I have also tried to "talk" her through it by pitching my voice higher and perkier, though I am not someone who is keen on or particularly good at acting. Periodically, we do engage in various activities (group walks, meet and greets, etc.) to help socialize her so that she will hopefully equate getting leashed up as the precursor to who knows what kind of fun she will be having (and usually getting ready to go for something else is not a problem.) How can I encourage her in a positive way? Thanks in advance!

Guest iLoveLucie

What time is your morning walk? My Lucie usually loves her walks, but now that it is staying darker longer in the AM, she is less enthused about getting up and going!! Maybe your gal just wants to sleep in a bit :) Does your girl get enthused about breakfast? Maybe you can try getting her food ready - that might entice her to get up and moving... As soon as Lucie hears the kibble hit the bowl she'll come running to the kitchen!

Hello, everyone! We have had our first greyhound now for about four months and, while every week it seems we see strides in her adjustment and happiness level, I am still dealing with one particular problem that doesn't seem to be improving much: being enthused and cooperative about morning walks. I think she thinks that if she just lies on her bed quietly and tries to make herself look as small as possible, I will forget she is there and in need of walking! Additionally, she seems so focused on *not* going that she is not distractable by really good treats or squeaking a favorite toy to encourage her to stand up. (Once she stands up, I can usually maneuever her wherever I want to go.) I have also tried to "talk" her through it by pitching my voice higher and perkier, though I am not someone who is keen on or particularly good at acting. Periodically, we do engage in various activities (group walks, meet and greets, etc.) to help socialize her so that she will hopefully equate getting leashed up as the precursor to who knows what kind of fun she will be having (and usually getting ready to go for something else is not a problem.) How can I encourage her in a positive way? Thanks in advance!

we have had lexie 4 years and i think she is the only dog who doesn't get excited about walks either. I do try to use my "excited" voice but she only enjoys them if both my dh and i go..i guess she knows she will be the only one in the house by herself then. sorry don't have ny good advice cause mine is the same way :blink:

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Try feeding her first and then walking her. Most dogs tend to need to use the bathroom right after eating (I know mine do). That might be what it takes to get her up and moving. That is unless you've already fed her and she's going back to bed. Mine crash after breakfast so there's not much that will get them up and moving once they've crashed for the morning. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

How long are her morning walks?

Does she usually walk more than once per day, if so how long is each walk?

Is that the only way she can do her business or do you have a fenced yard?

Did she have any racing injury of which you are aware?

What kind of personality does she have?

Does she appear fearful while she is being walked?

Was she more excited about walking when she first arrived in your home?

Was she fostered before you adopted her, and do you know if she was happy to go on walks then?

Any slight limping?

Do you walk on cement sidewalks, road pavement, grass, gravel, or other?

I'd suggest to try checking her paw pads to see if they appear worn down or a little raw in certain spots. It usually takes a new hound quite a while to slowly build up pad toughness (sort of like children going barefoot with very tender feet in early spring). Secondarily, wetting a paper towel with water to rub over her pads frequently helps reveal a better look at pad condition, or to check for any small foreign body. If anything looks suspicious, digital photos are excellent to put on a computer to zoom in for a better look.

Was she fostered before you adopted her, and do you know if she was happy to go on walks then?

Any slight limping?

I'd suggest to try checking her paw pads to see if they appear worn down or a little raw in certain spots. It usually takes a new hound quite a while to slowly build up pad toughness (sort of like children going barefoot with very tender feet in early spring). Secondarily, wetting a paper towel with water to rub over her pads frequently helps reveal a better look at pad condition, or to check for any small foreign body. If anything looks suspicious, digital photos are excellent to put on a computer to zoom in for a better look.

How old is she? I have two that are about 4 months apart in age right now 8 and 9 years old. The 9 year old loves her walks. The 8 year old not so much and needs much encouragement during the walk. She loves to go for a ride in the car though!

Edited by june

Guest JENuine

Any slight limping?

How old is she? I have two that are about 4 months apart in age right now 8 and 9 years old. The 9 year old loves her walks. The 8 year old not so much and needs much encouragement during the walk. She loves to go for a ride in the car though!

She typically walks for half an hour in the mornings. I would like for her to have a second, evening walk of similar length, but that unfortunately has not happened as much as I would like because 1) I live in a climate that gets quite hot in the summer (and she's a black dog), and 2) my husband (the one we originally discussed would handle the evening shift - or we both go out together) is frequently busy. While she poops on her morning walk on a regular basis, we live in a house with a fenced in yard. I am not aware of any racing injuries, nor have I ever noticed any limping. As for temperament, she is affectionate toward the people she knows really well (not just us but also her "grandparents"), and she likes to play though I think she sometimes will excessively squeak her toys like a nervous habit. She tends to be shy/skittish with unfamiliar people and dogs. (The one exception is that that last time an unfamiliar person came into our house, she was actually quite excited to meet him, but I think she may have decided that he was cool because it was on her turf.) When walking, she does have fearful moments from time to time, which we deal with by walking confidently when the school bus passes or whatever. During the first week, she would "freeze" periodically, and this no longer happens. During the early weeks, she was also bad about not being coaxable up and off her bed for walking, but she went through a period where she seemed much more cooperative...and then back pedaled. I am not sure if I can figure out a connection to anything, though I have wondered if she was more cooperative during a time when she was out 2x a day more consistently. She was in a foster home, but only for a few weeks. What I heard in regard to walking was that she was resistant during the first week but was walking fine when the time came for her adoption. (FWIW, she was fostered in an apartment so she had no yard acccess during that time.) Aside from crossing streets, we walk on sidewalks or paved pathways. She turned four years old not long before we got her.

In regard to getting up for food, I usually feed her, wait, and walk her. (Though if it's the kind of day where it will heat up quickly, I'll reverse that order.) Breakfast is not necessarily always a great motivator for her, especially if it's, say, trash collection day. Even if she eats her whole meal, she will go back to her bed and lie down.

I appreciate all of the suggestions because this is my most challenging and frustrating area with her adjustment. While, ultimately, I would love to see her do a happy dance when she sees the leash and collar come out, right now I would be happy just for her to consistently stand up when she sees those items.

Guest JENuine

I know some greys that just don't enjoy walks and some are just to lazy to care. Have you tried putting her leash on her while shes lying down, saying lets go and start walking?

I have tried that in the past, but I am concerned that I am setting up a negative reinforcement situation. She will still act like a dead weight, and, even with a Martingale collar, I worry about whether that is causing her physical discomfort. :(

Guest FijiHound

My grey absolutely REFUSES to go for a walk down the driveway and out the gate BUT if we open the car door (which she zooms straight up and in) and then let her out just a little bit up the road ITS THE BEST WALK EVER!!!! But then as many can tell you my little Nugget is weirder than most... :blink:

It seems she's trying to communicate something to you if she's attempting to look invisible and refusing to get off her bed. It may require more than a magic tip to encourage her up, especially of the leash trick, toys, and food won't work. If she's feeling well, and if her paw pads were successfully toughened slowly on cool sidewalks while her physical endurance was built up slowly to a 30 minute walk during the first few weeks, then continuing to build walk time slowly... then the first thing that comes to my mind is something could be happening occasionally outside in the mornings that is a little too much emotional stimulation/stress for her to feel comfortable yet.

If your schedule (and cooler weather) permits to try a couple of short-term experiments, here are a few ideas...

If she's well-behaved during the day, it might help to temporarily hold off on morning walks completely. She may become more alert/excited for an outside adventure after a restful (boring) day alone. Possibly try focusing on evening walks after the temperature and sidewalk(?) has cooled. If needed, change route or direction. Everything is so foreign to Greyhounds during their initial 6+ months of retirement, adjusting to traffic, garbage trucks, school buses etc. can be highly stressful experiences for hounds off the track or farm. If you and your husband go out to dinner, maybe a brief walk after you return home.

Some hounds become very brave under the cover and quiet of darkness, and many hounds enjoy the exciting night time "suburban visual critter hunt" (watching for reflective eyes of outdoor cats, etc.). If that helps, it may give her the needed opportunity to build more confidence to retry morning walks with better success a few weeks later.

Fijihound's tip works wonders for some hounds too...

I've done that often with our hounds (and fosters) for various reasons: One hound refused routine cement sidewalk walks due to lingering paw soreness that required walks only on soft grass in a park. (Paw pad problems can take seemingly forever to heal. We've had one hound with a foreign body removal in a pad take over a year to heal! I've heard of other hounds whose pads were damaged on a hot sidewalk that took months to heal.)

This year, one of our senior hounds (normally confident) was semi-freaked to go outside for two months after the month of July fireworks, combined with scary day time noises coming from neighbor's children playing with new pool toys. He decided awful scary things happen outside in our neighborhood day/night, but he was always absolutely thrilled to go for a 2 minute car ride to a different neighborhood to walk while investigating new smells and scenery. Sometimes it doesn't take much for a backslide. Yesterday, as we returned from a car outing, the neighborhood children were being typical noisy children playing with new loud toys. He started getting highly stressed again. He's still so hypersensitive from the extended summer noises that yesterday's noise made him feel uneasy every time we went outside today. Eventually, he will relax again.

Thank you for your curiosity, and willingness to discover what will work best for your individual sighthound. Greyhounds are the best ever and blossom so much within the first couple of years. Maybe others will have other helpful ideas to try too. :)

Edited by 3greytjoys