Newly Learned Bathroom Behavior?

Guest carhound

Guest carhound

our pupdog is great and wonderful!! We're curious though if anyone else's dog has picked up this behavior: after our dog relieves herself (number one or two), she starts pawing at the ground with her hind and/or front legs. Not sure how to describe it, it's like she's sliding her paws against the ground with a rigid leg and kicking up grass and dirt. She never did this in the past but we have seen many other dogs exhibit this behavior - can it be learned? She also really only does it when we go on our daily walks - when she's in the yard, she doesn't do it.

Guest greymama002

Yes, it is a form of marking and spreading their scent in the area. We have one hound who came to us, kicking up a storm and our other guy will do it once in awhile now. Our girl dog doesn't do it, BUT she has learned from the boys to lift her leg sometimes when peeing!

Guest carhound

wow! It seems like many have dogs that do this; we were just surprised because we've had her for almost 6 months and she literally just started doing this. On our walk tonight she did it every single time she went, it also seems to make her get a little rambunctious

We call it roosterimg...both Macy and Greg do this on walks, but never in the back yard. I think it's hysterical... Until I get hit with mulch trying to pick their poop!

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Mojo started doing this when he saw a hound we were sitting for do it. Now I can't get him to stop. Sometimes he really tears up the turf and considering how some people are about their grass, I'm sure we're going to get yelled at soon. He also does it at the dog park (for pee and poo). He sometimes gets so into it that he will kick Miri (she's not quite smart enough to get out of the way). Aaron used to do it too, but never in winter. This will be Mojo's first winter after starting it, so I'm curious to see if the snow will stop the behavior. I sure can't.

Mojo started doing this when he saw a hound we were sitting for do it. Now I can't get him to stop. Sometimes he really tears up the turf and considering how some people are about their grass, I'm sure we're going to get yelled at soon.

One of the many reasons I don't allow my dog to walk on other people's lawns!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck