Astro Hurt Himself Again...

Guest Whippet

My big Astro is sooooo clumsy. :o(

Last spring, he missed a step going up the steps on the gallery and he tore off almost completely a toe nail. It never grew back since. It's just a big stub now.

And this week, I went to the park to let the boys have a good run. Whippet and Astro were chasing eachother and Astro slipped and fell. Then, I saw the blood. :( It was dripping almost in a continuous drip. He tore off another nail. My heart sank. :( I hate when he hurts himself, which is almost every week... but it usuallly is nothing...

Luckily, I had my first aid kit with me so I bandaged his foot as well as he would let me. We went home immediately. When we got home, the blood has soaked the 2 triangular bandages I had installed on his foot. I took them off and it looked like the bleeding had stopped. Astro went on his favorite bed and started taking care of his toe.

Poor boy. :o(

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Twice?

Poor Astro. Not twice, that's for sure, but Jaynie tore the nail off a dewclaw while tearing around the back yard last year. In her case it was clearly painful, so I took her to the vet who shaved it off and put her on Tramadol for a few days. As you are doing, we didn't bandage it, but did keep an eye on her so that she wouldn't lick. This meant she got to sleep in bed at night which is supposed to be a Rickie-only privilege, so it wasn't too hard on her :)

The nail did grow back, and has since been very easy to keep short on "dremel Wednesdays".

Hope Astro heals well and quickly. :kiss2