Inflamed Corn

Guest mldsmith

Guest mldsmith

Hey All,

So Pearson is still dealing with what we think is a corn. We're starting to see some delineation around the "corn", which for me confirms the suspicion.

He does, however, have some inflammation on that toe. Primarily, it presents as redness of the fur on the bottom of his paw (between the metacarpal pad and the digital pads) and the webbing between the corn pad and the neighboring pads.

Is this common with corns? The vet has seen it and we have been using an antiseptic wash 2x daily to make sure there is no infection...my suspicion would be that the redness on the webbing is from him licking the area (which he does on occasion), but I've never seen him lick the fur on the underside of his paw.

Thanks for any feedback/advice.

Michael

The redness on the fur is almost certainly from licking. If he's licking the webbing, the saliva is probably just leaking down and staining the fur on the underside of the foot.

That being said, are you certain that there is nothing embedded in the pad? My old boy had corns for many years and never licked at them at all.

You may want to give your pup an epsom soak to help relieve the inflammation and help draw the corn (or possible foreign object) out of the pad.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest mldsmith

The redness on the fur is almost certainly from licking. If he's licking the webbing, the saliva is probably just leaking down and staining the fur on the underside of the foot.

That being said, are you certain that there is nothing embedded in the pad? My old boy had corns for many years and never licked at them at all.

You may want to give your pup an epsom soak to help relieve the inflammation and help draw the corn (or possible foreign object) out of the pad.

We've been soaking with Epsom Salts daily for a couple of weeks - we had x-rays and the Vet was able to identify the smallest foreign body (not visible on the x-ray except at 5x magnification)in his toe, but said surgery would not be worth the recovery period, since the body was so small they had no idea if they'd be able to remove it.

Would a corn that had not yet surfaced show up on x-ray?