Valley Fever Advice

Guest dinasorr

Guest dinasorr

I can use any advice anyone can give me on their experiences with Valley Fever. My girl is 10 years old. Her name is Nosey. She stopped eating and had difficulty breathing around August 16th. Diagnosis was cardiac effusion due to Valley Fever. They drained the fluid from her pericardium and started her on meds (Fluconazole) and a long list of others (cardiac, stomach, and appetite stimulants). Vets tell me they believe she now has restrictive carditis. She is much better than she was on August 16th when all of this happened, but she is definitely not well. My biggest struggle right now is getting enough calories in her to sustain her. I am constantly on the hunt to find things she will eat -- and it is mostly human food -- although in the last few days she has accepted premium canned food and a few handfuls of kibble. I would be so appreciative for anyone to share their experiences with VF with me. How did you take care of your dog? Tips for eating? Did your dog get well?

Guest BlackandBrindle

I fed Sadie homecooked for the first five months or so. She wouldn't eat her raw food.

Just put in some chicken/rice/veggies/water and cook in a crockpot. You can add some vitamins/supplements too.

Try different things with administering the meds. I've found that Sadie likes to have food in her stomach before giving the pill, so I'd give it to her about 20-30 minutes after she ate.

She's on a lower dosage now so I just put it in with her kibble.

Human food is fine for now. You want to keep her eating, that is very important. Try adding baby food (just the meat flavors), cat food, sardines, tripe, or mackeral too. Those were good for Sadie. Sweet potatoes are a good way to keep weight on when you are having problems getting them to eat.

What are all the meds she's on? Also, where do you live? Dr. Suzanne Stack is a great resource for greyhounds with Valley Fever. I trust her advice implicitly. What was Nosey's titre?

Sadie's been on meds for about three years now and will be on them for her lifetime. I also give her milk thistle and SamE for liver function. She's going on 8 and she's a nut. She acts like a puppy a lot of the time.

I've got her on Fresh Factors and they have made a HUGE difference in how she feels. Less aches and pains and more great days. Valley Fever is a marathon, not a sprint. Even if Nosey has to be on meds for life, it's really a manageable disease. It's hard not to panic at first, but you can get through this. :)

I'd advise against doing a lot of online research because some of the stuff out there is terrifying. VF is serious, but it doesn't have to be terrifying. If you want more food ideas I'm happy to give them.

I'd definitely advise asking your vet any questions and voicing concerns about Valley Fever.

Good luck! If you'd like to talk just let me know and I can give you my email address. :)

I never had to have Cosmo on anything but the fluconazole. I would give the satin balls when needed. Once or twice a week. That always seemed to start his appetite. He keep a healthily weight (75#) up from his 65 pounds at his diagnosis. Good Luck. I loved roadrunner pharmacy out of PX AZ. He got a new toy every time he got a refil!!! :blush

Look up the recipe for the meatballs on here. I did not use the egg shells. Good luck. It's not the death sentence that it once was.

Edited by GreyAcresMom

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Guest Swifthounds

It's so common for dogs to stop eating when they feel wretched and sometimes the medication to make them better make the feel worse. The toughest part is having very little ability to explain to them that this is temporary. I've lost two seniors since January and and nursing my injured remaining senior back (though if anyone dares to tell her she'll be 12 in just over a month, she won't believe you).

I've had good success with vanilla ensure (or the store brand) - just don't get the variety with extra iron and if you get a store brand check the sweeteners. A bit mixed in water encourages drinking and you can "feed" it either alone or mixed with meat or canned food.

The other suggestion is force feeding with a large syringe. It's much more frowned upon in the greyhound adoption circles than elsewhere, perhaps because it sounds harsher than it is, but it isn't harsh and works better and faster at getting a hound nutritionally back on it's feet. The better nutrition, the stronger the body and the faster the recovery. I use a large oral syringe (like for cattle or horses) and water down the canned food with some ensure to make it easier to give.

Guest jarenofsky

I can use any advice anyone can give me on their experiences with Valley Fever. My girl is 10 years old. Her name is Nosey. She stopped eating and had difficulty breathing around August 16th. Diagnosis was cardiac effusion due to Valley Fever. They drained the fluid from her pericardium and started her on meds (Fluconazole) and a long list of others (cardiac, stomach, and appetite stimulants). Vets tell me they believe she now has restrictive carditis. She is much better than she was on August 16th when all of this happened, but she is definitely not well. My biggest struggle right now is getting enough calories in her to sustain her. I am constantly on the hunt to find things she will eat -- and it is mostly human food -- although in the last few days she has accepted premium canned food and a few handfuls of kibble. I would be so appreciative for anyone to share their experiences with VF with me. How did you take care of your dog? Tips for eating? Did your dog get well?

Hi,

Just saw your post. I'm the executive director of the Phoenix-based Arizona Victims of Valley Fever. We do fundraising for a cure for valley fever, and this includes pets and people.

The best advice I can give you is to contact Lisa Shubitz, DVM, at the Valley Fever Center for Excellence, University of Arizona, Tucson. www.vfce.arizona.edu

Lisa is a vet and knows a lot about treating cats and dogs with the problem. She's also doing a clinical trial with the experimental drug nikkomycin Z. Ask her about it.

For more info, go to our web site at www.arizonavictimsofvalleyfever.org or contact me at jarenofsky@cox.net.

Best of luck.

Janice

Re eating: any calories you can get in. Tony, at varying times, would eat: roast beef, chicken, beef hot dogs, EVO canned, rarely kibble and usually grain free. Fried hamburgers, fried turkey burgers, roasted turkey. The key was trying to feed him numerous times during the day and night. It was a real trial the first 3 months after he was diagnosed.

He was on pepcid and carafate as well as the fluconazole.

Sending prayers.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits