Mash Recipes?

Guest Smiley

At Dewey last year we spoke with a gentlemen who told us he creates a "mash" for his dog and saw great improvement in her skin and coat. His recipe was to put a whole chicken in a crock pot with frozen veggies and salt-free broth, cook for 24 hours and serve. My question is, do the bones really get soft enough that they are digestible? I might be a little too paranoid to try that. I'm leaning toward creating a mash with boneless chicken . I just want to add a bit to Oliver & Gus's meals to see if their coat and skin will show some improvement (our never ending quest and yes, we do add salmon oil as well as Hair of the Dog).

Does anyone else have a any good, healthy and easy recipes they use? Thanks!

Guest greyhound9797

At Dewey last year we spoke with a gentlemen who told us he creates a "mash" for his dog and saw great improvement in her skin and coat. His recipe was to put a whole chicken in a crock pot with frozen veggies and salt-free broth, cook for 24 hours and serve. My question is, do the bones really get soft enough that they are digestible? I might be a little too paranoid to try that. I'm leaning toward creating a mash with boneless chicken . I just want to add a bit to Oliver & Gus's meals to see if their coat and skin will show some improvement (our never ending quest and yes, we do add salmon oil as well as Hair of the Dog).

Does anyone else have a any good, healthy and easy recipes they use? Thanks!

No, please don't give cooked bones to your hound! After 24 hours in a crock pot I think the proper term might be mush, but either way, I would never give cooked bones to a dog. Raw, yes; cooked, no. As a raw feeder I gotta ask :rolleyes: have you considered raw?

Sandra in FL

I don't see how mushy chicken and vegetables are going to improve a dog's coat--which is the point, right? At least any more or less than feeding the dog chicken and vegetables.

The point is not really to give "mushy" chicken and vegetables, but rather to find an easier way to cook a larger portion of meat and veggies. And as I said, this was recommended to me by someone who's grey's coat had improved after adding this into the kibble.

Guest KennelMom

I don't see how mushy chicken and vegetables are going to improve a dog's coat--which is the point, right? At least any more or less than feeding the dog chicken and vegetables.

I don't either, personally. Maybe from the chicken fat...veggies would really have no impact - dogs don't need them anyway. Generally, if the coat is poor it's an indication that the current food is sub-optimal (or possibly other health reasons). I'd rather find a more optimal food than try to supplement my way out of a sub-optimal one. JMO.

I agree Kennelmom. We had switched to Honest Kitchen and their coats were very nice, but we noticed they were losing a bit of weight. So we're trying a kibble/HK blend, but regardless we always add extras like raw veggies or yogurt. I just was hoping to find a good recipe as an add-on to try to keep boosting their coats and overall health.

Guest KennelMom

that one should be fine then. I actually did this by accident once...we had the carcass of a roasted chicken that I boiled in water with some veggies to make chicken stock...and then went out to do yard work and forgot about it. That sucker boiled for a LOOOOONG time. All the bones just mushed under the slightest pressure, so I mushed it all up and gave it out to the dogs.

Guest Adrianne

Beth,

In looking at the ingredient lists of the Honest Kitchen products, I see lots of vegetables & fruits listed and many green, leafy vegetables at that. I believe green, leafy vegetables are a good source of Vitamin E. Some of the fruits listed are good sources of antioxidants. One or the other or a combination of both may be what helped Gus & Oliver's coats.

So the gentleman you spoke with about the mash may not be so off base after all. I think you should look up the specific Honest Kitchen product you were using, and make up your mash recipe using some or all of the vegetables listed there. I don't think there's a thing wrong with supplementing Gus & Oliver's food with veggies & chicken. It's not like that's the only thing you're going to be feeding them.

:colgate

Edited because my fingers worked faster than my brain.

Edited by Adrianne

I cook chicken leg quarters (about 10 lbs at a time) and veggies in the crock pot (about 24 hours) to add to my girls kibble. I add about 1/4 of their meal this way. Their coats are beautiful and although my girls have always been good eaters it is obvious how much more they enjoy their meals now. Sometimes I will chop up an apple and add it to a batch for a bit of variety.