Mild Resource Guarding

Guest OurIndy

Guest OurIndy

Hello All! So I've had Indiana for about 6 weeks now and he's been wonderful. His transition has been nearly effortless and he seems to enjoy being home with us. He's very affectionate with me but I realize he probably doesn't trust me entirely yet. That's why I wasn't entirely surprised with some resource guarding he exhibited when I gave him a split antler earlier today. After letting him have it for about 5 minutes, I went over to him to make sure it wasn't hurting his mouth (I haven't given him anything this hard to chew on). When he saw me coming his ears went back and his paw clamped down on the antler. I didn't try to take the bone but I'm pretty sure he would have growled at me had done. I offered him some kibble away from his bed and I took the antler after he had gotten up.

I'm assuming this is a combination of Indy never having to share before and not having fully developed his trust of me. So it's understandable, but I don't want to put him in a situation where he's growling at me! Do I just not give him antlers or should I be desensitizing him somehow and extinguishing this resource guarding? What have you done in similar situations?

Thanks so much in advance and Happy Labor Day!

If you do a search on "trade up" or "trading up" in this forum, you'll find some suggestions for teaching him a command to give up even the best stuff. Essentially what you did, but adding a command that he can learn, and maybe a better trade than kibble in the beginning. Might start with something less valuable than an antler until you're confident that he's fairly easygoing about these things and happy to learn to trade a good toy for a crumb of cheese or hotdog. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest OurIndy

Thanks Batmom for the direction. Basically I'm going to start with not quite such a high value treat and try trading up to teach "Leave it." I have high hopes for Indy as he's very eager to figure out what we want from him! Thanks again.

Guest iconsmum

Thanks Batmom for the direction. Basically I'm going to start with not quite such a high value treat and try trading up to teach "Leave it." I have high hopes for Indy as he's very eager to figure out what we want from him! Thanks again.

Maybe I misread your post, but the treat you're trading him for always has to trump the thing he's got - as in "trading up"

Guest OurIndy

Yes iconsmom, I phrased my last post poorly. I meant I'll train him to leave it by trading up, but not starting with an antler since it's clearly the best thing in the whole world in his opinion! I've started giving him a Kong and asking him to leave it for biscuit, which he's fine with. We'll work our way up from there. Once he know's what "Leave it" means I'll give him the antler and only let him keep it when he's fine giving it back. Thanks for responding!