Adding To The Pack

Guest dee

Although this is not the best time to be adding to our pack since I'm in the middle of chemo for breast cancer our son is in the middle of an interstate move with new job, new schools for the kids and until they purchase a home the current rental doesn't allow dogs. Soooooo, since we love their nine year old bedlington terrier and she is also special sim

Nce she came into our family while my granddaughter was finishing her treatment for leukemia. So, now our family has one very gentle, sometimes spooky grey who has not had experience with small dogs/ cats since we got him right off the track. We also have a very passive gentle standard poodle and a labradoodle. The labradoodle is in charge of the pack. So we introduced lulu ( the new bedlington) by having them all outside in the fenced yard. I muzzled Micah and after everyone sniffed I let them wander while I walked with them with lulu on a leash. Everyone came into the house and everyone settled down on their respective beds. My question is how long do I use the muzzle. We've never used it and Micah definitely doesn't like it but I don't want to do anything that will make anyone unsafe. When can I make a safe judgement? Lulu will be fed away from the others who all have separate places for their food bowls. Water bowl has always been shared. I'm going to be having another chemo on Monday and it's not in pa. Where we live. I stay in a condo in nj for the first to or three days and I plan to take just lulu with me. I thought we could then continue living like a pack when I come back. I will only be three days. Does anyone have any suggestions for a smooth transition? So far it's smooth but I guess five hours doesn't count! Thanks for any help.

Guest SusanP

I don't think it's a good idea to muzzle just one. It's all or none, for the safety of the muzzled dog, in most cases. If there have been no snaps or growls, I'd go ahead and take the muzzles off. I would not leave them alone together for a few days, though, personally (and we're going through the intro of a new dog of 48 hrs as I type this. If you can't be with them, I'd crate the new one, of, if it's for more than a few hours, I'd have someone who knows dogs come babysit. My suspicion is that everything will go *great* and you'll be happy you added your granddog to your pack. Sending good thoughts for your upcoming chemo appt and beyond!

Didn't think of your thoughts re: muzzling all of them...good thought..thank you. It's actually good I'm not on my usual go go go schedule because I'm really with them during this transition time. The other perc is that it takes my mind off me and before I know it I'll be done with treatment and ready for some fun with four dogs! Thanks for your help

I don't think it's a good idea to muzzle just one. It's all or none, for the safety of the muzzled dog, in most cases. If there have been no snaps or growls, I'd go ahead and take the muzzles off. I would not leave them alone together for a few days, though, personally (and we're going through the intro of a new dog of 48 hrs as I type this. If you can't be with them, I'd crate the new one, of, if it's for more than a few hours, I'd have someone who knows dogs come babysit. My suspicion is that everything will go *great* and you'll be happy you added your granddog to your pack. Sending good thoughts for your upcoming chemo appt and beyond!

I'm with Susan, definitely don't muzzle just the grey. Same as at a dog park, you would never muzzle your grey there, either. Your pup is at least already used to being around off-breeds. If she's not showing undesirable attention to the Bedlington, she will probably be fine, with care. Good luck! I'm sure things will work out great!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

So far so good! Haven!'t had any aggressive behavior at all. They've stopped sniffing rears so I guess they have enough info! Still being very careful. I have to leave them all today and I am going to leave lulu, the new girl in the bedroom wing with her bed and water and toybwith peanut butter. She's more used to being alone than with a pack anyway and she didn't always have thevrun of the housevat my son 's house. I have a neighbor coming in to let them all out while we're gone and I think I probably worry too much! I'll feel better as I feel them settling in more. Thanks for your good wishes about the big C. I'm halfw through my chemo...yay! No hair is pretty funny looking but thank heaven my family and friends keep the humor coming and my dog groomer for my poodle matches my bandanas with my poodles....you gotta laugh in life and soon this too will be part of my history.

Sorry for all the typos...it's on an iPad and that just seems to hapoen