Senior Grey And Senior Husky

Well, after Sammi's scare 2 weeks ago, I have started reevaluating her diet. She is back to the kibble again with it being thought of as a bug in her system or a bad bag of food, since she is fine now.

Roommate and I were discussing Sammi and the older husky, Gizmo as they both are turning 9 soon. I explained why Sammi take Gluc/Cond and what happens if she doesn't take it in the colder months. He wants to try that with Giz, as since she was once very overweight, is starting to show signs of stiffening when cold. obviously, without talking with the vet, Giz wouldn't go on a dose like Sammi's which is the same as what my 73 yr old father takes.

So my questions are:

Until we can get a chest freezer and set up for RAW, what kibbles that do not require a loan office to purchase would you all recommend for :

~a Sr Grey that I want to take it easy on her liver & kidneys that already maintains her ideal weight?

~A Sr Husky that is showing early signs of arthritis, possible diabetes- but is slimming down beautifully?

(Yes there is a vet check up in the future here, but was just curious of some names we can check out in the meantime)

Didn't realize that was the impossible combo :lol

I should have made it clear that we already doubt that there would be a food for both together, but even separate foods since while they are both the same age, they will have different needs? I don't really want to have the only suggestion being the inevitable Hills Science Diet that all vets carry at gouging prices and nearly all vets recommend only. I have already been looking at something different for Sammi for a while now, even before the bad bag scare. What she is on has worked great so far (except for that one bag) but I know that I do have to be looking at *gulp* senior food soon for my young-at-heart Diva.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't realize that was the impossible combo :lol

I should have made it clear that we already doubt that there would be a food for both together, but even separate foods since while they are both the same age, they will have different needs? I don't really want to have the only suggestion being the inevitable Hills Science Diet that all vets carry at gouging prices and nearly all vets recommend only. I have already been looking at something different for Sammi for a while now, even before the bad bag scare. What she is on has worked great so far (except for that one bag) but I know that I do have to be looking at *gulp* senior food soon for my young-at-heart Diva.

Hi:

I used to have a diabetic keeshond who I ended up home cooking for as I didn't feel the prescription diet was that great....and it's also expensive. Is the husky diabetic or are you just looking for a healthy kibble diet? Blue dog food is supposed to be one of the best on the market; however, I haven't tried it and not sure of pricing. As far as glucosamine supplementation, I give my husky who is about 70lbs, 1000 mg daily.

Carla