4 Weeks On Clindamycin

The vet just pulled Da Va's lower canine tooth. He has been on Clindamycin 150 mg (2 times a day) for 2 weeks. She wants to keep him on it for 2 more weeks..that makes 4 weeks on the drug. I am nervous. Can someone please give me some information?? Thanks so much.

Well... I don't want to be negative. And every dog is an individual case. But our Spencer's gut flora got out of balance after just two weeks on Clindamycin, post-dental. And I guess because we didn't realize the implications of yellow, soft-serve poop in our dog, we missed the possibility that this wasn't just temporary post-anesthesia weirdness. So by the time we diagnosed it, he had developed a vast overgrowth of Clostridium perfringens in his small intestines.

On the other hand, he took it again recently, before his dental but not after, and came out of everything fine. Then again, we have tylosin and Flagyl on hand for his IBD, and they tend to nip bad things in the bud. (He also had 2 extractions with this dental.)

So I guess I'd say to be alert for yellow soft-serve and to consider using yogurt, probiotics, and even some raw food to see to it that the intestinal flora stay balanced. And I'd ask the vet now if he/she knows of any down side to four weeks of Clindamycin. I don't mean to be Debbie Downer here, but I think it's good that you get an idea of what to watch for!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).