Lucy Grand Mal Seizures

Lucy has has two Grand Mal Seizures, one back in March and one this month. First one lasted less than a minute while the second was between 1 to 2 minutes.

I've started to put together my "emergency kit" of rectal valium for seizures lasting more than 2 minutes, muzzles (for her and Larry), wet towels to cool her down, blankets to cover her legs (she scratched me pretty deeply last time), pillow for her head, ice cream, cookies, and water w/yogurt or applesauce. I put the list together with the help of another GTer in CT (thanks Lindsey). If I missed something, please feel free to add items ....

Right now I'm not planning on treating with medication as per a discussion with her regular vet unless the seizures becomes more frequent but, would like to have her see a neurologist to get a baseline. Dr Sisson has been recommended and he is at Angel Memorial in Boston which I take my dogs to frequently (they have a great ER and an oncology department) and I am thinking of going there. But, my regular vet also recommended Dr Silver at Mass Vet Referral Hospital in Woburn. Since I expect this relationship between Lucy and her neurologist to run over many years I would like to make sure that I pick the best neurologist for greyhounds. Would appreciate any recommendations from GTers that have used these doctors (or others) in the Mass area?

Thanks for your recommendations

Absolutely no advice, just best wishes for your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF

You're welcome! Good luck Miss Lucy. :)

I did not like Dr. Silver at all. She pushed an expensive MRI on us, did tests I didn't authorize, and prescribed the incorrect dosage of rectal valium (IV dose vs rectal dose). But, others have had a positive experience with her, maybe I was unlucky. :lol Dr. Sisson has been great for us. He checks email frequently too (for when I have lots of questions!). Hopefully more people can chime in with their experience.

~Lindsay~