Enlarged Heart

Guest Greytluv

Guest Greytluv

A friend's friend's :rolleyes: 11 year-old Grey was just diagnosed with an enlarged heart. This is all the info I have.

Are Greyhounds able to live with an enlarged heart? Is it treatable with meds? I had a Shih Tzu :heart who had an enlarged heart and she did just fine on meds.

I'm going to try and find out more info.

from my post in another thread: (edited slightly to fix linky)

there is a greyhound specific medical health packet by dr. feeman ... at this location.

couple points, greyhounds naturally have larger hearts than other breeds, some vets mistake that for signs of heart failure. blood chemistry is also much different, what may be abnormal in other breeds may be normal in they greyhound. greyhound body fat levels are way below other dog breeds, cause complications with some anaesthesia.

you may want to email it or print it out for your friend so that they can give it to their vet. if the vet is not amenable to reading & acting on it, they should get another vet.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest HHHounds

My bridge boy Candyman had an enlarged heart as seen in Xrays at a hound savvy vet. I had taken him for a cough. He was on Lasix, enalapril and vetmedin for 8 months...

Have you been able to find out any more info? I'm assuming the enlarged heart was diagnosed on x-rays? Was he showing any signs like coughing, lethargy, shortness of breath that prompted the x-rays? Does he have a heart murmur?

As others have mentioned, a normal greyhound's heart can sometimes look large to a vet who is not experienced with the breed. However, greys can develop heart disease that leads to an enlarged heart, too. An enlarged heart is usually a secondary sign of heart disease and doesn't tell you what the underlying problem is. There are different heart conditions that can affect greys, and the only way to get a definite diagnosis is with an echocardiogram (heart ultrasound) +/- an ECG. Getting an actual diagnosis is the best way to determine which heart medications will be most effective, and will also give you a better idea of prognosis.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Greytluv

I haven't found out anymore info. I asked my DH to find out for me and so far, nothing. I'll post when I hear anything. I did forward the article.

Guest Samantha

Watching this thread with great interest, Maddison was just diagnosed with a enlarged heart and probable heart disease today :(

Edited by Samantha

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Demon had an ultrasound (or xray, I can't remember) and the radiologist reported a "huge" heart. I sent the data to OSU and they said it was normal for a greyhound. Greyhound hearts are much larger than other breeds.

Edited by MorganKonaAlex

Demon had an ultrasound (or xray, I can't remember) and the radiologist reported a "huge" heart. I sent the data to OSU and they said it was normal for a greyhound. Greyhound hearts are much larger than other breeds.

I would definitely send everything to OSU for their opinion or better yet, see if the OP would ask their Vet to request a consult. . If the Vet refuses or is resistant, it's just another reason for the OP to consider getting a second opinion from a Grey-savy Vet or finding a new one.

It's tough trying to do right by someone else's dog..

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest ReleaseTheHound

Kelly had a similar diagnosis a couple years ago. So we took her to the director of cardiology for a major university for some thorough testing, who determined that she had a slightly large heart, but not dangerously enlarged. The diagnosis cost a lot but provided good peace of mind.

To be safe, though, I don't take her coursing anymore.

Guest saltwaterron

riley was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in june. ultrasound revealed left ventricle not pumping as it should. she seems to have lost weight and tires easily after any walk. tough thing to go through.