Adequan Side Effect

Guest peacehound

Guest peacehound

We started Adequan injections for Peace last week. She has had three shots so far and is responding wonderfully. She actually played with a stuffed toy yesterday and it is just wonderful to see her get some relief from her arthritis/toe/shoulder tendon pain. Anyways, I really want to continue the series of 8 shots and then go to maintainence with the injections monthly if it continues to work. However, she gets terrible diarrhea approximately 18 hours after the injection. Her stool has been soft since she began the drug but the worst of the diarrhea lasts for about six hours(18 hrs after injections) and subsides to runny stools but not explosive. Anyone else have this experience? My vet has put her on Flagyl and hopes that will help. The vet also had us take her off her Deramaxx and get up and go supplements.

I've had three dogs get Adequan & none had that reaction. Is it safe to assume she does not get stressed enough by vet visits to have caused this before? One of mine used to get stress colitis so that comes to mind.

If you check the product label info here, http://www.adequancanine.us/images/AdequanProductLabel.pdf, under adverse reactions you will find this: "These included transient pain at the injection site (1 incident), transient diarrhea (1 incident each in 2 dogs), and abnormal bleeding (1 incident). These effects were mild and self-limiting and did not require interruption of therapy. To report suspected adverse reactions or for a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet for this product, contact Novartis Animal Health US, Inc. at 1-800-637-0281."

So I guess that shows what little I know. Hope all is well quickly.