Possible Kidney Issue?

One of my iggies, Skimmie, has started to lose weight. He is a skinny minny again like he was when I got him. I wouldn't say he's TOO skinny right now, but, he was a little on the heavy side before so the weight loss is a bit concerning.

The facts:

No change in appetite whatsoever, he is a pig and gobbles down his food.

I have not changed the amount of food he is given. And trust me, the amount he gets is more than enough.

He is prone to current UTI symptoms - extra drinking and frequent urination. If he potties on my ceramic tile it's hard for me to see because it looks like water and always has, for as long as I've had him (which is a little over 4 years).

Last time we went to the vet (late May), his bloodwork was fine, UA was fine except specific gravity a little low, but, he did have some water to drink before we left for the vet.

Yesterday afternoon I watched him while he was peeing outside - steady stream, then some interrupted spurts, then a bit of a stream, then more spurts.

I need to get him in to the vet and am going to call for an appointment tomorrow. I guess the reason I'm posting here is I'm wondering if all tests are normal again, where do we go from here? Kidney ultrasound? Anything else to test for - cushings? Diabetes insipidus (I'm not sure even how to test for that)?

I guess it would be a good idea to catch his first pee of the morning or at least make sure he doesn't drink before we go to the vet, so the specific gravity might be more accurate and possibly more telling.

I know Lauren's (Gracegirl) Fenway was recently diagnosed with kidney issues after he was drinking and peeing a lot, but his labs were normal. But Fenway hasn't lost weight. I'd say Skimmie has lost 3-4 lbs, which, on an iggy is quite a bit.

It's also frustrating that he has UTIs all the time. I spend a fortune on Clavamox and his symptoms return almost as soon as he's finished with the two week course. I suppose a culture might be appropriate as well in this case (remind me, does that require the urine be collected via cystocentesis, or do they just need his first morning pee?).

Mainly I just want to sort of have all of my ducks in a row for when we go to the vet so I don't have to make multiple appointments. On top of the cost of multiple visits, it's a half hour drive for me and it's difficult to get out there any day but Saturday, so multiple appointments would also mean each appointment would be at least a week apart.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest mcsheltie

I would have them do a sterile catch first thing in the morning. Get up, put him in a crate and take him straight in, don't let him pee beforehand. I have them run a culture and sensitivity along with a full chem profile.