Pesticides And Greyhounds

Guest candt

Guest candt

we just bought a house. its charming and was built in 1850, however, there are so many bugs! we are more out in the suburbs now, and we are finding that there are way more bugs than when we lived downtown.

anyway, there are monster spiders in the basement, earwigs (ugh) and carpenter ants ( or at least big black ants) outside.

i know greys are sensitive to insecticides...what can we do? DIY or the orkin man...maybe both

i am ok with organic solutions and chemical ones. and i need some that will work in the basement and outside.

thanks!

I would just vacuum up the spiders. (though spiders do a great job of keeping the bug population down)

If the ants haven't made their way into your house, I'd leave them be, too. If they ARE carpenter ants, try to figure out where the nest is - are there any downed trees nearby? Rotting wood, etc? If you can find the nest, you can treat that only rather than a broad application.

In the boonies, it's a losing battle to remove all insects from the property - and would require a lot more chemicals than I care to use. I would only treat things that really are causing a problem and let everything else be, especially if they are outside.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Vacuuming and sweeping up goes a long way towards getting rid of the insects and keeping them under control in the cellar. You might want to hire a "regular cleaning service" rather than an insect control service.

Earwigs (from my experience) come when there are damp conditions and if you are finding them in the cellar you probably want to get a dehumidifier going down there. Just reread your post and your finding the earwigs outside - in that case, you have damp conditions outside that you probably want to correct - maybe leaves near the house or maybe even mulch is to close to the house.

Regular maintenance like raking the outside area near the cellar foundation will also go a long way towards keeping the insects away from the house.

Guest Figmama

If I were having that much of a problem, I think I'd call in an exterminator to treat inside and outside and leave for the day while they are there then just try to keep on top of it.

Due to the dogs, I won't let my husband put insecticides on the grass in the back yard but we sometimes use a bug killer spray to spray around the exterior of the house and under the eaves.

Guest sja5032

Our foundation gets sprayed for ants yearly and I've never had a problem with the dogs, we just wait a few hours before letting them out. My dad's yard gets sprayed for more and they just wait a few hours and have never had a problem with their grey. A good pest control person should be able to help pick products that are safer around pets and tell you how long to wait etc.

Guest candt

what about those raid bug barrier and ortho perimeter products? that you use inside and outside the house?

tho inside it would be in the basement where my dog never goes. and the bulk of the outside of the house is not in the fenced in backyard part...

what about those raid bug barrier and ortho perimeter products? that you use inside and outside the house?

tho inside it would be in the basement where my dog never goes. and the bulk of the outside of the house is not in the fenced in backyard part...

HomeDefense is one that you can use, spray the outside foundation(comes w/sprayer) instructions on container, my DH uses it every year early spring.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten