Anyone Feed Just Once A Day?

Guest zoolaine

I don't think it's fair to them to only eat once per day. Also, the person who mentioned they probably ate once a day while racing is incorrect. They are fed twice per day. The thing that alarmed me about your post is putting them on a run. Putting greyhounds on a tie out or run is extremely discouraged, particularly if you are not around to watch them. I would feed them when you get up, shower, get ready, then let them out to do their business. I highly suggest a pet sitter/dog walker to come mid-day so they have more than 10 minutes to go out over your lunch break. Good luck.

I'm pretty sure she's not planning to tie her dogs out. I think she's planning to have a fenced area that the dog door leads into. It's actually the safest thing to do if you're going to have a dog door. And the OP has already said that she comes home mid-day and the dogs still poop while she's gone.

To the OP, I think adding walking back in may do it for you. 20 minutes would probably be sufficient. I need to do this for Zuri or he won't empty his bladder sufficiently and we have accidents in the crate. I know many of my dogs wouldn't bother to poop if just turned out into a yard in the morning unless they really needed to go so I think this may be your issue. Like smoeone else mentioned, a walk will get things moving. :)

I do think firming up the poop may also help. I think probiotics are a good idea.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zoolaine

I don't think it's fair to them to only eat once per day. Also, the person who mentioned they probably ate once a day while racing is incorrect. They are fed twice per day. The thing that alarmed me about your post is putting them on a run. Putting greyhounds on a tie out or run is extremely discouraged, particularly if you are not around to watch them. I would feed them when you get up, shower, get ready, then let them out to do their business. I highly suggest a pet sitter/dog walker to come mid-day so they have more than 10 minutes to go out over your lunch break. Good luck.

I'm pretty sure she's not planning to tie her dogs out. I think she's planning to have a fenced area that the dog door leads into. It's actually the safest thing to do if you're going to have a dog door. And the OP has already said that she comes home mid-day and the dogs still poop while she's gone.

To the OP, I think adding walking back in may do it for you. 20 minutes would probably be sufficient. I need to do this for Zuri or he won't empty his bladder sufficiently and we have accidents in the crate. I know many of my dogs wouldn't bother to poop if just turned out into a yard in the morning unless they really needed to go so I think this may be your issue. Like smoeone else mentioned, a walk will get things moving. :)

I do think firming up the poop may also help. I think probiotics are a good idea.

you are correct - the dog run will be a 10x25 foot fenced/kennel area that the dogs can access during the day via the dog door (so they don't have access to the entire yard). As soon as it cools a bit (has been 86 degrees at 6am) I will have to take Zuki and a couple others for a morning walk. I also agree that her having mushy stools makes it harder for her to hold it until lunch. I have switched her food and she is getting 1 cup in the am and 2 in the pm. I will try to get some probiotics for her this weekend.

Do you guys walk your dog before breakfast then??? I heard that walking after is bad and can contribute to the stomach twisting. One article said the rhythmic nature of walking is actually worse than them running around :dunno and another article said that you should wait 30 mins after walking before feeding.

Edited by zoolaine

Guest giantsfan

Yes, I walk before breakfast. Decent walk early in the morning before it is too hot, (which is any temp >70) come back and let them relax for a few minutes and then feed them. Let them out anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hrs later when I leave for work.

Guest Brindle2Black

I always thought you needed to give 2 small meals (2 C or so, one morning, one evening) to deep chested dogs to prevent bloat. Maybe a small meal before you go, then the rest in the evening will help.

I think waiting 10 hours to go out is okay for a younger dog, but once you have a senior, most can not hold it that long. A friend of ours had a grey that was inside for 10 to 11 hours a day. He ended up with cancer in his intestines, and I really feel that had something to do with it. I just don't see how you can hold toxins in that long and it not have an effect.