Nutri-Calm

Guest Honeysmom

Guest Honeysmom

My vet is suggesting I use this supplement for Cali's increased anxiety during the night and sometimes daytime too. Has anyone had any experience with it or knows about how good or safe it is for greys?

Also what dosage is right?

Thank you for any help!

Karen

Guest d0ggiem0mma

No experience with it... but it looks like it's just a B vitamin complex. Shouldn't be harmful at all, but I don't know that it would really help either.

Have you tried a D.A.P. collar? My whippet responds very well to that! Or melatonin?

Guest Honeysmom

Thank you, doggiemomma.....I haven't tried any supplement or prescription as of yet...still investigating. She is just very anxious much of the time since she turned 11yrs.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

See if your vet can get you a D.A.P. collar. The collar form is only available by prescription right now. You can buy the wall diffuser at pet stores. Make sure you buy the "Comfort Zone" brand, as there is another brand (nutri-vet or something) which doesn't work as well.

If this anxiety only started as a senior... it could be more age related. There is a supplement called Senilife that my vet and a friend of mine both swear by. My friend's senior dog started being very anxious and peeing on the floor. She tried Senilife and the dog went back to pretty much normal. She tried discontinuing the supplement and within a day or two the dog was a basket case again. Might be worth trying?

I tried melatonin and composure for Sparks when he turned 12

Just started using DAP plugin for my foster

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

There are 2 Nutri Calm products that I'm aware of. The one that's the B-vitamin complex is Nutri-Calm made by Nature's Sunshine, and I don't have any experience with it. The other one is NutriCalm made by Rx Vitamins (link is not to the manufacturer's site as the official site only provides detailed info to vets - found this site on Google that listed the ingredients, but it's not a store I have any experience with).

Based on the active ingredients, I'd expect the Rx Vitamins formula to be more effective at treating anxiety. Like tbhounds, I believe these types of supplements may help, but it varies from dog to dog and are probably more appropriate for fairly mild cases. It may take some trial and error to find a supplement that helps.

My grey Willow has mild storm anxiety - not bad enough that I feel she needs prescription medication, but I've been trying some supplements to see if they help. The products I've tried are Harmonease, Anxitane, and most recently NutriCalm by Rx Vitamins. I thought both the Harmonease and Anxitane helped a little, but between Willow's anxiety being mild, and the effect being fairly subtle, it certainly wasn't a dramatic effect. I've only tried 1 dose of NutriCalm with the last storm we had, and it seemed to make her a little sleepy, which the other 2 didn't. But again, she's a typical greyhound who sleeps all the time anyway, so it really didn't make a huge difference in her behavior. Couldn't tell if it helped with her storm anxiety since that storm never really materialized after the first couple rumbles of thunder in the distance.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Honeysmom

There are 2 Nutri Calm products that I'm aware of. The one that's the B-vitamin complex is Nutri-Calm made by Nature's Sunshine, and I don't have any experience with it. The other one is NutriCalm made by Rx Vitamins (link is not to the manufacturer's site as the official site only provides detailed info to vets - found this site on Google that listed the ingredients, but it's not a store I have any experience with).

Based on the active ingredients, I'd expect the Rx Vitamins formula to be more effective at treating anxiety. Like tbhounds, I believe these types of supplements may help, but it varies from dog to dog and are probably more appropriate for fairly mild cases. It may take some trial and error to find a supplement that helps.

My grey Willow has mild storm anxiety - not bad enough that I feel she needs prescription medication, but I've been trying some supplements to see if they help. The products I've tried are Harmonease, Anxitane, and most recently NutriCalm by Rx Vitamins. I thought both the Harmonease and Anxitane helped a little, but between Willow's anxiety being mild, and the effect being fairly subtle, it certainly wasn't a dramatic effect. I've only tried 1 dose of NutriCalm with the last storm we had, and it seemed to make her a little sleepy, which the other 2 didn't. But again, she's a typical greyhound who sleeps all the time anyway, so it really didn't make a huge difference in her behavior. Couldn't tell if it helped with her storm anxiety since that storm never really materialized after the first couple rumbles of thunder in the distance.

The main ingredient is tryptophan which will make a person or pet sleepy so that makes sense. The one my vet is suggesting is made by nutramax labratories so I don't know which med that is.

The one my vet is suggesting is made by nutramax labratories so I don't know which med that is.

Hmm...I'm not familiar with any behavioral/anxiety products made by Nutramax. Checked the product list on their website and couldn't find anything that fits that description. Maybe you can find out more from your vet and ask what the active ingredients are?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg