Stomach Problems

Guest ibeakila

Guest ibeakila

Hi, I have a 6 yr old female greyhound. Every now and then, early in the morning, her stomach makes loud noises and she refuses to eat. This lasts a few hours. I know that she is feeling lousy during this time. She wants to go outside and eat grass, cannot eat her breakfast. We have tried everything. It almost seems to be like a form of gastritis, occurs about 5:00 am about once every other week. She has also been to vet and they are not sure what is going on with her. We give her small amount of food before bedtime, so she does not have empty stomach, which one vet said could be causing it, but that has not resolved the problem? Thank you

What food, treats, chews do you feed her? Might consider switching to something different.

Have you tried Pepcid when she is feeling poorly?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Pepcid helped my little Jewels when she was having upset tummy. Maybe try giving her something different before bed; mine do good with a large size Milkbone-type biscuit; they get another first thing after morning potty and our morning problems with the two girls have pretty much stopped (both of my girls need a treat before bed and another soon after rising or they will vomit up the foamy, yellow bile stuff.)

Guest ogie65

Ethel has the same problem occasionally. She'll just stare at her food with her stomach making incredibly loud noises but she refuses to eat. One thing that seems to help is to make her kibble extra soupy like a bowl of cereal and even add low-sodium broth to entice her. She'll slurp on the soup for a while and eventually eat the kibble. I think the meaty liquid helps settle her stomach.

Try Pepcid. My girl Cody had a sensitive stomach and would be gurgly frequently. I finally had to put digestive enzymes on her food to help her digest it. Try the pepcid first - it helps LOTS of them!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest snakes

I don't know if it is possible with your schedule but here it really helped to split their daily food into 3 meals instead of two. I give 1/2 their daily food for breakfast, then the other half is split between lunch and dinner, dinner being shortly before bedtime which is late at night.

Guest ibeakila

What food, treats, chews do you feed her? Might consider switching to something different.

Have you tried Pepcid when she is feeling poorly?

Thank you all for your help, am going to try feeding her cookie and or bread before bedtime