Revolution And Sentinel

Guest bwgreen

Guest bwgreen

Can these be used together?

Our grey is just under 6 years old. She was on Sentinel when we got her (just under a year ago) so we've kept her on that. Recently we sarted noticing ticks on her - we talked to the vet's office and they recommend Revolution for ticks. Since Revolution and Sentinel protect the dog from different things, can we use both together? She has no problem taking the Sentinel pills. We live up in Ottawa, but are heading to Lake Placid in New York State in July - we started her on the Revolution at the start of the month so hopefully by the time we get there she'll be somewhat protected from ticks.

I just want to make sure that we are not doing something bad here!

Thanks,

Brian

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I would not use the two together. They both contain meds for heartworm and they both contain meds for fleas. You are really going to over medicate your pooch!

Not to mention that Revolution only kills dog ticks- it doesn't kill the ticks that carry lyme (and other TBD) and it does not repel fleas either.

Interceptor is the same heartworm medication that is in Sentinel. K9 Advantix works well for repelling and killing ticks but you can only use it if you do no have cats. If you do have cats, I like Frontline but it only kills ticks doesn't repel.

Guest CampWhippet

What she said. Don't use them together.

I use revolution on mine, sentinel on our seizure dog and heartguard/frontline on the fosters, since that is often donated to our group.

Of these I find the revolution does the worst job on fleas and we don't have ticks.

I'd use Frontline Plus instead for fleas/ticks, and if you give dogs heartworm meds up there, something for that--I give George Heartgard chewables (he loves them).

The ONLY thing that repels ticks that I know of is K9 Advantix OR a Preventic collar.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BiancasMom

I use them together on my dog (grey) and all my previous dogs. They work in different ways and should be perfectly safe. I use Sentinel year round and Revolution in the warmer months in addition to the Sentinel. The reason I use both is Sentinel does not kill adult fleas which I worry about in the warmer months. We don't have many ticks here.

Edited by BiancasMom

Revolution and Sentinel are safe to use together, but I'm not sure why you'd want to. You get an overlap in protection, and I personally feel there are better products than Revolution for control of adult fleas and ticks (such as Frontline or K9 Advantix).

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest bwgreen

Thanks - I am using both since they don't protect from the same things. There are some (a lot) in common, but there are some differences. If they are safe to use at the same time, then I'm not worried!

Brian (& Daisy, our almost 6 year old girl!)