Adding Another Grey

Guest falcon73

Guest falcon73

We currently have 2 boys and an older girl, and are considering adding another Grey. We have been looking at a young male, who is easy going and very friendly. He's about 4 years old, so he'll be close in age and temperment to our younger male. Our Vet advised bringing a male in is easier than adding a female, as our old girl was a brood Mom, and the Vet felt she wouldn't accept a female as easily. Just looking for others experiences along these lines before we bring in the new grey.

We were able to bring in a 4th hound as smoothly as butter (however, the 4th was our brood mom's retired offspring). Our mix is 3 females and 1 male, all of whom are good with other hounds. The age span is 4 years difference between our 2 youngest hounds, and they have a blast playing with each other! Our brood is a perfectly tolerant mom hound. She and her baby girl are very closely bonded (two peas in a pod!). I am particularly careful to be "fair" with everything from food, attention, walks, etc.

Good luck with your new addition!

Guest BrianRke

I have 2 males and 1 female. My female is fine with the boys, although she does growl at them occassionally. She would NOT tolerate another female in the house.

Everything will be fine. You just need to think ahead and do some advance planning about how to handle any issues that arise.

None of my current hounds have ever met any of the ones that came after prior to them arriving at our house to live. They all get along great after an initial adjustment period. You should expect some jockeying and posturing and growling, but if you enforce the good behavior you want and correct the bad behavior you don't want in a consistent fashion, everyone will get the idea sooner or later.

The last three greys I've added have been females and there's been no problems (adult, puppy, and senior in that order). I think that's mostly a myth. It really does depend on the individual dog.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Ashleigh

I have 2 males and 1 female. My female is fine with the boys, although she does growl at them occassionally. She would NOT tolerate another female in the house.

I've heard this a lot! Female dominance is far worse than male. I have 3 males, all different breeds and they get along great!

Guest TDotGreys

I've heard this a lot! Female dominance is far worse than male. I have 3 males, all different breeds and they get along great!

We have two intact males, and one intact female. The boys can't be left unsupervised together so the pup is crated when we are out. The female would not tolerate another female in her space, but would likely be okay with another female if she left her alone.

So it really depends on your individual dogs' personalities. For us, a female would make more sense because our older male has a hard enough time with one other male in the house. :) if he wasn't in the picture, then a male would be best because the male pup adores other dogs (male, female, neutered, intact, it doesn't matter).

Edited by TDotGreys

Guest RichardUK

We have found that females more likely to live together than males :)

I have 2 bitches and a dog that live in total harmony - in fact that has always been the mixture in 25 years at home - but it depends on the individual dogs concerned.

We always do a hour long paddock test - starting with all the chosen dogs muzzled - then unmuzzled. The greyhounds make the preferences known in less than half an hour normally in a minute or two. The last half hour is spent with all dogs running free and unmuzzled under supervision. In our kennels experience the dogs that show tolerance and liking always continue to do so providing the adopter integrates the dogs without favour. We do not use crates at home so integration needs to be instant at home.

We do have dozens of pairs of bitches living together happily - far fewer pairs of dogs.

My last selection consisted of six suitable dogs that my bitches needed to chose from (the animals make the final choice not the adopter at our kennels) The individual dogs were introduced one at a time. Three were disliked - two were barely tolerated - One was welcomed with open paws - they were so good together I decided to put them all in the car muzzled and drive home - they were perfect and entered the house in perfect harmony and continued that way until sadly Brian died. All of my dogs were chosen by the incumbent dogs.

Edited by RichardUK

It depends on the dog and the personality in my opinion. As you can see by my siggy, I have 7 males and 3 females and have had very few problems. The worst I had was adding one of the males but we were able to work through his issues.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I have always had females and currently I have three females. They all get along fine. I often dog-sit other greys both males and females and I don't have any problems.

june

Guest WhiteWave

I have always had better luck with males. Currently we have 7 males and 3 females. 3 males intact, the rest neutered and all females spayed. 3 are Greyhounds, the rest various breeds. My male Dogo will not tolerate another male Dogo or similar breed, but is fine with male Greyhounds.

Good luck on your new addition! :)