Doolin Update 2

Guest zombrie

Have you tried beet pulp for fiber? Since he does so well on horse maure :lol ! I believe you can get it at feed stores. Just be careful, only feed a small amount in the beginning, it really expands!

I just started Milky on the beet pulp yesterday. We've been dealing with a month of liquid and soft poop. She's been on A LOT of meds during the time so I'm sure that's what caused it. But since she was so sick we thought we were going to losing her, the meds were a necessity to get her better. Anyway, just sprinkled a little on her food last night and this morning we had the first solid poop in a month!!! LOTS of fiber and since it's feed to horses, he's probably already been getting some in his "snacks" :rolleyes:

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

Guest zombrie

Have you tried beet pulp for fiber? Since he does so well on horse maure :lol ! I believe you can get it at feed stores. Just be careful, only feed a small amount in the beginning, it really expands!

I just started Milky on the beet pulp yesterday. We've been dealing with a month of liquid and soft poop. She's been on A LOT of meds during the time so I'm sure that's what caused it. But since she was so sick we thought we were going to losing her, the meds were a necessity to get her better. Anyway, just sprinkled a little on her food last night and this morning we had the first solid poop in a month!!! LOTS of fiber and since it's feed to horses, he's probably already been getting some in his "snacks" :rolleyes:

Hmm very interesting! I will mention it to the vet once she gets back from vacation.

I cut out most of the rice in his food and put potato in, we'll see how he does on it. Yesterday he had a "soft serve" poop rather than watery, so that's a start!

I have a question about Doolin's teeth. Since he is literally getting all mushed food, I've noticed his teeth are starting to look yellowy and have plaque. He loves carrots but I don't think that's enough. I'm afraid to give him a bully stick or anything like that because of his tummy. I can't brush his teeth because he absolutely hates having his muzzle area touched and will cry. Is there anything I can give him that won't throw off his strict diet? I might have to tell him to stop being such a baby and try to brush his teeth anyway, I don't want him to have yucky teeth.

Guest zombrie

Ditto the questions about worming.

Assume he's had some recent x-rays/ultrasound?

Re whether he's getting enough: How is his weight? FWIW, my little 55-lb Zema was on a homecooked, 99% meat diet for several years. She needed @ 1.2 - 1.5 lbs precooked weight (medium fatty ground beef) per day to maintain her weight.

Yes, he has been dewormed twice and will be again. And yes, he has had x-rays to rule out anything else. He is at 73 pounds and should be around 78-80 pounds. I'm not too worried about his weight right now, I just don't like that he has lost weight when he is getting so much food. He is naturally slim and slender and always will be. He is young at 3 years old, and he is quite active. I think it's just the matter of playing around with the amount of food because I think he burns it off quickly!

Edited by zombrie

Hey Brie- got nothing either, just since we got Red all hounds have been on pasta chix or steak and fresh veg. Never had a problem unless dumb Daddy loads them up on milk bones before bed.

Prayers and healing lights out to your hound, a sick kid is the worst, sorry