Drinking Water And Gagging It Back Up

Guest RobinAZ

Guest RobinAZ

I've had Layla for 9 months now. Most of the time when she drinks water she gags and spits some of it back out. At first I thought this was because she was a spooky girl and because she was so nervous. But she still does it. Maybe she's drinking too much too fast, I don't know. It doesn't seem to be a major problem, I've just never had a dog that's done this before. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there's anything I can do to help Layla stop it.

Dinah does this too. I've tried changing the height of the water dish, the temp. of the water, and the type of water (we have spring water). She doesn't do it every time but most of the time and in different circumstances. I haven't been able to pin down what makes a difference. She doesn't have problems eating unless she goes too fast so I've just assumed that was the problem with the water too.

I'm curious to see if other peoples pooches have had the same problem.

Cara and Dinah

Yep, I've got a couple who do that. They drink too much water to fast and end up spitting some of it back up. Not a problem.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Greytluv

My Piglet does this too. She makes such a mess when she drinks :inlove I just think she gets too much air when she drinks.

Yeah, I have some that do it to. Irritating, especially when it ends up on the carpet, but not really a problem. If I happen to be near the water dish when one of the culprits is at it (yes you Edie), I'll interrupt her so that she can get the first lot down before she's at it again.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Shermanator

Huh. Travel does not do that, I think that's the first trait our little girls don't share. Layla, stop making you mama nuts!

Edited by Shermanator

Guest HHHounds

Our hounds do this when they drink too much at one time, so we monitor the dish and tell them "Enough!" They tend to keep the water down if they drink a little at a time...

Guest BrianRke

Diamond used to do this when I had her water dish raised. Now that I have it on the floor, the problem seems to have gone away.