Zevon Has Lymphosarcoma

Guest greyhoundgirl1

Guest greyhoundgirl1

Zevon had his 2nd chemo treatment on Monday. Today, Wed, has been a crash and burn day. He really does not want to eat, so I gave him the anti-nausea medicine. He still isn't feeling up to eating and now has diarrhea. I hate to see him feeling so poorly especially since he had been doing so well. Hopefully this is not going to occur from now on each time he receives a treatment. The cure,at this point seems worse than the disease!

Chemo affects pups differently. Many have no side effects, others have some stomach upset and can be tired a day or two later. I hope Zevon does well with his treatments.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Be sure to talk to your vet about the side affects -- don't wait until his next appointment. Zevon should be getting some meds to alleviate the symptoms. Perhaps a combination (or all three) of famotidine, Cerenia and ondansetron for the stomach upset. Call around to your local pharmacies for a cash price for ondansetron. I got prices everywhere from $20 to $200 (no joke) for 30 tablets. It is cheapest around here at Costco and my closest pharmacy will match their price.

For the diarrhea, they will probably prescribe metronidazole. Again, call around for pricing.

If Zevon isn't drinking, they might also have you do subcutaneous fluids.

Jane

Also, try anything that he has liked to eat in the past. Some dogs on chemo don't like strong smells, for others, it seems to encourage eating.

Guest greyhoundgirl1

Be sure to talk to your vet about the side affects -- don't wait until his next appointment. Zevon should be getting some meds to alleviate the symptoms. Perhaps a combination (or all three) of famotidine, Cerenia and ondansetron for the stomach upset. Call around to your local pharmacies for a cash price for ondansetron. I got prices everywhere from $20 to $200 (no joke) for 30 tablets. It is cheapest around here at Costco and my closest pharmacy will match their price.

For the diarrhea, they will probably prescribe metronidazole. Again, call around for pricing.

If Zevon isn't drinking, they might also have you do subcutaneous fluids.

Jane

Also, try anything that he has liked to eat in the past. Some dogs on chemo don't like strong smells, for others, it seems to encourage eating.

Thanks,Jane, I contacted Red Bank Hospital where Zevon has been receiving his treatments. They did prescribe metronidazole and I had them call it into Costco. Zevon is on reglan for his upset stomach. He did eat late this afternoon and I was able to get the metronidazole down his throat. His stools are still quite loose tonight, but he seems to be more comfortable. Of course we made the decision not to go to Grapehounds Va, but I'm just glad he feels better. There's always next yr for us.

Thanks everyone for such speedy replies. I wish the oncology office was as quick. They kept me waiting all day for the metronidazole prescription!!!

Edited by greyhoundgirl1

Guest greyhoundgirl1

Zevon's 3rd chemo treatment is with cytoxan, which he will be taking in pill form everyday through Sat. So far no adverse reaction. However, I was very distressed to find a lump on his back this morning, Wed. All of his lumps had disappeared after the very first chemo treatment. I'm hoping this is not a set back. :(