How To Best Introduce Tracker, If At All

We live in a rural area. Our neighbor two ranch properties down has 4 retrievers which are allowed to roam freely on her property, but it's fenced in a way that they can see out (wire), but not get out (well, mostly, which is where the problem lies). Every time I walk Tracker by there (it's one of only two routes I can take from our house), and they're out within the fenced area, which is most of the time, they come racing towards the fence and bark and generally behave like crazed animals. They even fight amongst themselves, they get so riled up. One of them, Lacie, actually adores Tracker, though they've never officially met; another one, Gyro, is friendly, too. But the other two, Sammy and Taylor, act as if they'd like to tear Tracker apart. Tracker mostly either shakes his head (I swear he does), ignores them or yells back if it's too much. Mostly the owner comes running out and yells at them in a blood curdling way, which often impresses them, and they back off (she's not physically abusive with them, just yells). Of course, if the owner's NOT there, they just go nuts until we're past their property.

I will say that the owner is a nice lady who really feels bad for all that ruckus. But apart from yelling or using a water hose she's at a loss as to what to do.

My biggest fear has always been, what if they get out? That day arrived recently, after a year of owning Tracker. I was walking by there when Tracker had just pooped and had something stuck to his butt which took all of his attention trying to get it off. Then the dogs all of a sudden came rushing towards us, out of the gate, and at the same time a big truck had to slow down and stop (he was already going really slowly, since he saw the commotion from a distance, and this is a slow, narrow road). Tracker can be pretty leash reactive (though not at all off leash), and with 4 agitated dogs descending on him, he would normally have exploded, I think (even though two of them, Lacie and Gyro, had good intentions, but Tracker HATES dogs rushing towards him in any shape or form when he's on leash). Sammy and Taylor, predictably, were very rude, and Taylor made a moderate lunge at Tracker (no teeth showing, and no skin contact). I raised my leg getting ready to kick if needed (maybe not the best idea, but it was instinctive) at the same time as Tracker barked back and made a quick move towards Taylor at the same time (no teeth, no skin contact, just a warning), and Taylor immediately backed away. With the thing on his bum and the truck I think he was so distracted that he didn't blow up as I think he might have otherwise, potentially making the situation a lot worse. At any rate, by that time the owner appeared and yelled at them to come back NOW and they did. She was terribly upset and apologetic. Somebody must have not closed the gate properly and she was really mad (she had an equestrian facility and many people using that gate, so the risk goes up that somebody's sloppy). She and I were both rattled, though Tracker was fortunately totally oblivious and had calmed down 2 seconds later.

The next day when I walked by she proposed having the dogs meet (Sammy and Tracker, then Taylor and Tracker), one-on-one, so they at least know each other, and should this gate open ever again, it may prevent nasty happenings. I at first agreed that would be a good idea, an ounce of prevention and all that, but later started questioning whether there really was a smart, safe and productive way to go about this. Our neighbor, while nice, isn't exactly up to date on the latest training methods nor has she instructed her dogs on impulse control. Tracker is still somewhat leash reactive, though he's gotten quite a bit better with the help of a trainer. I don't want to wreck what we've achieved with him so far by exposing him to a hyperactive retriever, even if leashed (obviously that's the minimum requirement) and several yards apart.

I went through different scenarios in my head, like having both of them on leash, having them SEE (not touch) each other on neutral territory from 20 yards away so they can look at each other's sides first and incrementally get closer if they stay below threshold.

Or, the retriever could stay on his property, gate closed, all his buddies locked away to perhaps break the pack mentality for a bit. He'd be on leash, starting many yards away from the fence, and Tracker is on the outside, same thing. As long as either stays calm, they get treats. Then, gradually getting closer to the fence. That, however, requires ME to instruct the owner on how to act with her dog, and I'm not sure I want to be in that role or should have to do this work or even know enough to instruct her. On the other hand, it may serve both of us well.

We have a huge fenced in yard for Tracker. He could be off leash in his own yard, while the retriever comes to visit on leash, staying outside the fence and they can sniff through the fence (Tracker does NOT mind meeting strange dogs this way). And if that went well, they could play off leash inside the yard.

I'd really love input on the risks and benefits in this. I consider myself a novice handler, Tracker being my first dog. I don't feel I can accurately gauge the outcome of these dogs' meeting; and it may be that there are too many unkowns in this anyway--even if the dogs got along INDIVIDUALLY, who's to say they wouldn't turn back into a pack of crazies as soon as they're all together and out on the street??

Right now I just feel I'd rather not get involved in psychologically intense situations for the dogs. Even though they'd all be leashed and safe and they couldn't get close to each other, it may just be frustrating for them. Maybe I'm just too negative and it could go really well because the dogs involved may find out they actually like each other...

Edited by christinepi

I wouldn't recommend walking the dogs toward each other (even if done slowly) and having them meet face-to-face on leash. Direct face-to-face meetings can become confrontational, and tension on the leash can trigger an aggressive response.

Instead, I would suggest taking the dogs on a walk together, starting off with some distance between them, and having the humans walking between the dogs to create a barrier. As you continue walking, if the dogs seem to be pretty relaxed and not worried about the other dog's presence, you can slowly get closer. It may take several walks before you can actually be right next to each other.

At the end of a long, relaxed walk, if the dogs seem comfortable around each other, you might try letting them off-leash in a fenced area to interact more freely. But I'd skip this step unless you're comfortable. It requires some familiarity with dog body language to know if the meeting is going well.

I do believe that if you want to allow dogs to meet up close and sniff each other, it is better to do it off-leash, or make sure there is NO tension on leashes if they are on-leash. It is often the human's reaction - tightening up on the leash, pulling back - that creates more tension between the dogs and leads to a negative response.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

My opinion, and it's just my opinion, it doesn't matter if these dogs meet or not, when it's 4 against 1 and the pack of 4 turn on each other with excitement, the minute they all rush the fence they'll go after Tracker no matter what. They are an established pack and they're going to follow their leader, which sounds to be one of the more aggressive dogs. I would find another route to walk or let Tracker get his exercise in his huge yard.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My opinion, and it's just my opinion, it doesn't matter if these dogs meet or not, when it's 4 against 1 and the pack of 4 turn on each other with excitement, the minute they all rush the fence they'll go after Tracker no matter what. They are an established pack and they're going to follow their leader, which sounds to be one of the more aggressive dogs. I would find another route to walk or let Tracker get his exercise in his huge yard.

I completely agree.

There is no reason to force the issue, especially since it sounds like you don't NEED to go that way, and you just got your dog. Don't get me wrong--walking your dog is fabulous, yard or not. But if you're in a "rural area," surely there is somewhere else you can walk?

If your neighbor's fence isn't secure, and she's as nice as you say, perhaps you could offer to help her fix it? Labor I mean--at her cost?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I don't think the meeting would do any good because of the "pack" mentality. Could you ask your neighbor for her phone number and call her when you are going to walk that direction? She sounds reasonable. At the least she can check that the gate is closed and if willing might even put the dogs up while you walk by.

june

Actually, calling her is a good idea. I'm sure she'd work with me that way. And I had this feeling, too, that posters would suggest that the pack mentality would just take over, no matter what. So I'll drop that idea to introduce them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by christinepi