Hello - Intro

Guest GoldenMaia

Guest GoldenMaia

Hello group!

My husband and I are wanna-be return Greyhound owners. We owned a Greyhound (Pele - KanKan Katie) for too short a time many years ago and we miss having one in our lives. She was an older girl and spent most of her life on the track running. She had the best personality and was so relaxed in the house and was just the best, sweetest baby. We have spent a lot of time at the local shelter trying to find a dog for us, but nothing ever really feels 'right'.

We were going to work with a local-ish group for adoption but we had other pet drama and we didn't want to bring in a new pet while dealing with the passing of one of our very young cats. :( (FIP is evil) :( Now that we've backed out of the adoption, I feel uncertain about what to do. We want to get a greyhound, but the group we wanted to go with has already had us back out to deal with this other stuff, I don't even know if they'd want to deal with us now. What are the other choices for adopting? I've seen some people adopt puppies right from the kennel and wait until the pup is done with racing to get him/her home.

We'd like to eventually get two greyhounds, but don't know about getting them both together right at the start (in case there's issues)

Glad to be back on the boards!

-Diana, Jeff and the bratcats-

I don't know why the adoption group wouldn't want to work with you as long as you were up front with them about why you had to back out. I had to do the same thing, for similar reasons (sick cat), and when I was ready, I just let them know that things had settled down and I was ready. Of course, the dog they had initially suggested for me had been adopted by someone else, but as it happened, another dog that I had fallen for before I was ready to adopt in the beginning (If that makes sense?) had been bounced and was available. So, it all worked out and I got my heart dog :wub:

If for some reason the original group won't work with you, there should be others around (don't know where you live)?

Guest GoldenMaia

I don't know why the adoption group wouldn't want to work with you as long as you were up front with them about why you had to back out. I had to do the same thing, for similar reasons (sick cat), and when I was ready, I just let them know that things had settled down and I was ready. Of course, the dog they had initially suggested for me had been adopted by someone else, but as it happened, another dog that I had fallen for before I was ready to adopt in the beginning (If that makes sense?) had been bounced and was available. So, it all worked out and I got my heart dog :wub:

If for some reason the original group won't work with you, there should be others around (don't know where you live)?

Thank you :) I guess I am just horribly embarrassed because when the cat got sick I was really beside myself...there's no cure for FIP and I felt utterly helpless. I did let the adoption group know and maybe I'm just over-thinking things. We live in Northern California.

Well, there's only one way to find out! And I hope you're just over-thinking things, but there are people out there who take offense easily. But ask them. The can only say no, not execute you! :lol Oh, and good luck! (I think it speaks well of you that you did what you had to do for the animal you already had.)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I agree -- I think that most groups would think it showed compassion and responsibility! If you're not comfortable after checking, there are always other adoption groups (though I think it would be unlikely that you'd need to find one). I would, personally, go for an adoption group when getting "back into Greyhounds". For one thing, it's nice to have the support, information and, frankly, safety net. The dogs you fell in love with are the way they are because of how they were raised, as well as their breeding and life experiences -- although a lot of people have loved an enjoyed Greyhound puppies -- a puppy who hasn't raced isn't going to have the same personality. Many people enjoy acting as foster homes and being the ones to show new retirees all the joys (and requirements) of being a pet -- a newly retired greyhound has been compared by some to how we'd feel if transplanted suddenly to the moon :D I also love giving a home to an older Greyhound who has lost their home ( :( ) through no fault of their own.

Anyway... it's so exciting that you're re-joining the wonderful world of Greyhounds. We'll look forward to hearing about your pup when you find him or her (or they find you).