Hello From Charleston, Sc

Guest dinosLaur

Guest dinosLaur

Greetings from the Holy City!

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum! I couldn't find the appropriate place so I made a guess..

But! My name is Lauren and I figured I should introduce myself? I'm in college and an English major. I'm looking to move into a dog friendly apartment in the next couple years (depending on finances.) While I don't have a greyhound yet, I'm hoping to get one when the time is right. I'm already waist deep into research (anything's better than college textbooks, right?) but I still had some (a lot) of questions that I couldn't find answers for. I tried joining a couple other greyhound forums but this one definitely seemed the most active.

But, other than questions, I have a small, very high strung but devilishly standard poodle named Ivy. (she's 18in at the shoulder. She's little. We also think we were tricked into buying a circus dog.) First and foremost, I was wondering how the two breeds compared. Poodles are hypoallergenic, so I'm not sure if I have dog allergies. (Definitely cat ones. Everyone in the family does - maybe we're just not cat people?) Also if I have (read as: my parents) such an intensely energetic dog should I look for a laid back female or a goofy male who could keep up? (I'm in school and have moved out but spend a considerable chunk of time there.)

I was also curious how a greyhound would be left in an apartment- and what kind of greyhound I should search for to be the best fit. I've never owned a boy dog and love those big goofy dogs but I don't want it to be lonely without me there (with a school schedule and a potential work schedule.) But I would like some sort of dog- many of the apartments for rent in my price range are in the less than scenic part of town, and my stature is less than intimidating. So, living alone would make me (very) nervous. So I know that these dogs are gentle giants, but anyone watching me walk it home doesn't necessarily know that. But I've always loved greyhounds and I've wanted to rescue one for years- but my mom's allergies always prevented it. So I figured that I might as well while I was young and able!

I'm sorry this has turned into a novel- I didn't intend for it to end this way! Believe it or not. I still have a million questions so please humor me! Thank you and I'm looking forward to being a member of this awesome forum.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Welcome!!!

The right hound will be there. Now, does the poodle live with mom and dad, and will stay with them? If so, I'd look for an easy going Grey without any separation issues for an apartment. You don't need cat-safe, that's always a plus!

Anyway, lots more will chime in. I just wanted to welcome you. Good for you for wanting to adopt an awesome Greyhound and for researching :)

Guest dinosLaur

Welcome!!!

The right hound will be there. Now, does the poodle live with mom and dad, and will stay with them? If so, I'd look for an easy going Grey without any separation issues for an apartment. You don't need cat-safe, that's always a plus!

Anyway, lots more will chime in. I just wanted to welcome you. Good for you for wanting to adopt an awesome Greyhound and for researching :)

Yes she'll be with mom and dad- but depending on the job market we may be all reunited again. :blink: Thank you for your input! I've seen your greys on a couple other threads, they're beautiful!

A big black male would look as intimidating as all get out and probably be the sweetest dog you've ever seen.:lol He would be your best friend. Just make sure you get one without any separation anxiety, that can be difficult to deal with living in an apartment.

Welcome to GT!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Welcome from Ohio!!!!

I happen to be owned by a 90 lb black male greyhound, & he's the most UNintimidating dog I've ever met.

Maybe if he didn't have a grey face & didn't lean on everyone he met begging for pets & adoration.......

Good luck; I hope you find the perfect fit!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Welcome from another SC member! I'm in Columbia and got both of my greys from Greyhound Crossroads, and I also volunteer for the group. Our members in Charleston aren't very active right now, but I believe there's a chapter of GPA (Greyhound Pets of America) in Charleston. Even if you're not ready to adopt yet, I would encourage you to attend some meet & greets to spend some time with greys up close and learn more about them. I believe the GPA group holds meet & greets at the Petsmart in West Ashley - you can find dates on their website.

Most adoption groups doing a good job matching dogs with families. Especially if the available greys are fostered in homes, they usually have a good idea of the dog's personality, tolerance of other dogs, signs of separation anxiety, etc. Either a laid back dog, or a higher energy one may be compatible with your poodle, as long as they are tolerant of other dogs. If you are looking for a potential playmate for your poodle, you might want to go with a younger, more active grey. But if you're ok with a grey who will just ignore or hang out with your other dog, perhaps even help her learn to relax and be calmer, a more laid back dog may be a good match too. Just depends what you want.

I agree with those who suggested a black greyhound. They are just as wonderful as other colored greys, but many people find them intimidating, and black dogs are often passed over and take longer to adopt out due to this.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg