Still Worried About Kelly

Guest Stripeyfan

Guest Stripeyfan

Last week Kelly was diagnosed with suspected cystitis after the vet found blood in his urine (posts here and here) and put on a 10-day course of amoxycillin which he has 4 days left of. Since starting the ABs he seems a lot more comfortable and has not had to go out at night. I also caught a bit of pee today just to have a look at it and the colour is much better - yellowy and clear – whereas the sample we took to the vet was so cloudy it looked opaque and had visible 'bits' floating in it.

However, he is still peeing for ages when I let him out for his last 2 potty breaks late evening (which is the first thing that alerted me to something being wrong). I timed one pee the other night and it took him 5 minutes - then he had to go do another one! I don't think he's peeing a greater amount than usual, it just doesn't seem to be coming out very fast. Sometimes he'll start off with a normal flow and then it goes down to a trickle, other times it's just a trickle. This is only happening in the evening though - during the day, out in the yard or on walks, his flow seems completely normal and it doesn't take him long to pee at-all.

Also, when I got back from work at lunchtime, he'd had an accident.

As he was on pred last year I am concerned this could be a kidney issue, but from what I've read on here dogs with kidney issues are usually pretty sick generally, and our vet says she'd expect to see other symptoms before blood appeared in his urine, especially increased drinking, lethargy and loss of appetite. Kelly doesn't seem to be drinking more than usual, and he is eating like a champ, loving his walks and keen to play. The other thing that has crossed my mind is bladder stones - but wouldn't they be causing problems with flow all the time, not just late evening?

So do we finish the ABs and see how he is after that? Or do I give the vet a call?

TIA for any advice. smile.gif

Edited by Stripeyfan

Guest BiancasMom

Has Kelly been checked for bladder stones? He could have a stone partially obstructing his urethra and maybe it takes him a while to empty his bladder. It could be only partially obstructing his urine flow, therefore only causing a problem at certain times? Just an idea. I hope he is feeling better soon!

Guest mcsheltie

I'd call the vet. Amoxi is helping but may not totally getting rid of it.

Personal experience with my own dog: Boomer had a bad UTI two years ago. Blood, crystals, protein in his urine, blood work wasn't good, prostate was enlarged. He was treated three times. Started out with Clavamox for 10 days. Seemed fine after the first course, but it reoccurred. Finally licked it with three weeks on Baytril. He was urinating the same way. Very little flow. His was worse in the morning.

They didn't already do blood work?

Guest Stripeyfan

BiancasMom and McSheltie, thank you for your replies. No, we haven't done bloodwork yet because of the total lack of other symptoms so far, but if this doesn't clear up, that's the next step, and we'll get it done straight away.

Tonight I took Kelly for a short walk about 7pm. He marked a few times and - wouldn't you know it - the flow was normal. Then he went out for a pee about 8.30 and again, normal flow (i.e. you could hear it hitting the ground!). He is peeing a fair bit but we are adding extra water to his food at the moment (on the vet's orders) to help flush out his bladder, and his food is wet anyway. Could we be over-filling his bladder, and because he doesn't usually get a walk in the evening, there's a lot to come out when he does go out? He did pee like this sometimes when he was on pred and drinking like a horse (although he could have had the UTI back then and all the meds he was on masked it, I guess).

I think will keep an eye on him tonight and if he reverts back to having loooooooooong pees, then I will call the vet tomorrow and have a chat with her, which she already said she'd be happy to do.

*Sigh*. Please can my big guy just be WELL for a change!

If he's on antibiotics, it's totally unnecessary and may be harmful to overhydrate. Unless he tends to dehydration, let him decide how much to drink, and let the antibiotics do their work.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mcsheltie

If he's on antibiotics, it's totally unnecessary and may be harmful to overhydrate. Unless he tends to dehydration, let him decide how much to drink, and let the antibiotics do their work.

If you are feeding raw or the dog is catching his own meals, the moisture content is at least 70%. Moisture content in dry food is 10% or less. Adding water to his food is not going to over hydrate him. It will bring the hydration level up to where mother nature intended it.

This will help flush the crystals and bacteria out of his system. It will not cause any harm.

And it is being done on their vet's orders...

I've heard of vets advocating things like this before, and it's rarely warranted. Dog is already eating wet food. Really better to him drink what he wants -- improves antibiotic efficacy, owner sanity, and symptom evaluation, not to mention reducing risk of bloat.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly eats a homecooked diet - chicken and rice (+supplements) which DOES have a lot of water in it, so perhaps he had just had too much? DH has since told me he forgot to let him out before he went to work that morning, after I'd given him some extra water. The last 2 mornings he's remembered, and there have been no accidents.

Also his pee looks loads better - clear and yellow instead of cloudy and with stuff floating in it. And he's definitely more comfortable. So I think I'll let him finish the ABs and see where we are then. We actually have to try stopping his ABs altogether (before this he was on a low dose of a different AB for his IBD), so he'll probably have an IBD flare next week which I'm not looking forward to!

It's lucky he's so darn cute. rolleyes.gif Thanks for the advice everyone!

Guest longdoglady

Big hugs to the handsome Kelly and to you, how these dogs can worry us :blink:

Hope the uti clears up and peeing returns to normal :grouphug

No ibd flare up thoughts as well.

Just seeing this, and I'm so sorry for Kelly's ongoing troubles! Lots of scritches and get-well wishes. How come he needs to come off his IBD ab's too, for testing purposes? Hope he can do that without a flare. Just be sure you have his med on hand for if that happens!

:bighug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest fringepup

I don't have any advice for you, sorry, but we are hoping Kelly gets past this very soon. We have a ton of good thoughts to send your way. Willie says "Hi friend!! :wave Get well soon!"

I'm sorry Kelly isn't better yet. When they do bloodwork and urine tests make sure they know the "normal" greyhound levels. And, I know nothing about this, particularly as it relates to dogs, just tossing it out there, but could there be a prostate issue? Feel better Kelly!

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest Stripeyfan

Just seeing this, and I'm so sorry for Kelly's ongoing troubles! Lots of scritches and get-well wishes. How come he needs to come off his IBD ab's too, for testing purposes? Hope he can do that without a flare. Just be sure you have his med on hand for if that happens!

:bighug

Yes, the vet wants to see if he can come off them, especially as he's been able to go down to such a low dose (from 1500mg/day to 500). Fair enough, I guess, but I don't feel very confident that he will be able to. Anyway, we shall see!

I'm sorry Kelly isn't better yet. When they do bloodwork and urine tests make sure they know the "normal" greyhound levels. And, I know nothing about this, particularly as it relates to dogs, just tossing it out there, but could there be a prostate issue? Feel better Kelly!

The vet didn't think it could be his prostate because he's neutered, but I will ask her again if there's a recurrence after he finishes the ABs tomorrow. We'll be doing bloodwork if this recurs too but haven't done it yet.

Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone, I hope it's ok to keep 'em coming! smile.gif