Cartrophen

Josie

We were discussing with teh vet what medication to give Tuffy to manage his arthritis pain...

Used to give deramaxx and it was doing great but Tuffy is now having problems with his kidneys so we needed to stop it.

What's you experience with cartrophen? any side effects? does it work good?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest BiancasMom

Do you mean Carpofen? (aka Rimadyl) It is another NSAID, and some dogs that can't handle one NSAID will handle another just fine. I say it's worth a shot.

no cartrophen ;)

I dont know the US name of the drug or it's even available in the US, but it's available here in Canada..

link:

CARTROPHEN VET

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest BiancasMom

Haha, weird drug companies shouldn't make their drugs sound like others. :) I haven't heard of Cartrophen in particular, however it sounds similiar to Adequan. If that's the case I have heard good things about Adequan. I have heard it can make a big difference in the lives of some dogs, while other owners don't seem to notice a change. I haven't heard anything bad. If it can decrease the NSAID use, all the better!

Cartrophen is not available in the U.S. but from what I can tell, it is very similar to Adequan. Adequan is labeled for IM use, but works very well given SQ too. Adequan is a safe product with few side effects and works well for a lot of dogs. From a search on a vet orthopedic board, it looks like the 2 drugs can essentially be used interchangeably. I think it's definitely worth a try for your boy.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I just started my boy on these shots last week; going for the second of 4 tonight. It appears to be cheaper than Adequan, and very similar in it's performance. Max has been on metacam for 8 months or so now, and I am hoping to wean him off if the Cartrophen proves to be successful. He has not had any side effects from either and his blood and urine results are all good, but given that he is almost 13, I don't want to keep him on the metacam if the Cartrophen will do the job on it's own.

I'll let you know! Good luck with Tuffy...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

getting my tread up...maybe I'll get other Canadians (or other non US GTers) :)

Tuffy urine test follow-up done today shows it's stable, did not degenarate :thumbs-up

Next Monday we are going to the vet to get cartrophen :)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

up...

maybe I'll get other Canadians (or other non US GTers) to talk about their experience with cartrophen... :unsure

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data