Venison Trouble & Ibd

greyhead

Spencer can only eat venison, the only novel protein we could find in an uncomplicated formula. We've noticed changes in texture in the canned Evo and now Wellness (with sweet potato) in the last few months. I know P&G bought out Evo, so that explains that. Now we're seeing the same texture change in the Wellness, and Spencer is having an IBD flare. My suppliers have mentioned a "sourcing" problem with venison, but I don't know what that means specifically, and nobody seems able to elaborate.]

Does anyone know what's going on with venison? Has anyone else noticed what I'm decribing? (Even the Natural Balance venison kibble has had very variable quality the past year!) If we have to give up venison, I don't know what we'll do. But I'd at least like to have a better idea what's going on.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I can't answer your question but if you haven't you might want to look at Nature Variety's Prairie's Venison food. I tried it for my guy when switching from CA Natural Lamb and Rice due to the P&G buyout. My dog doesn't really like it so I went to Acana and Orijen instead but if you need a venison food it might worth checking out. They have a kibble and a canned venison formula.

Guest Stripeyfan

Dammit, not an IBD flare! sad.gif I can't give you any diet advice as, as you know, we've had to give up on commercial dog food altogether, but I hope Spencer feels better soon and that you can find a food that he can tolerate again. Kelly sends his buddy a great big wag!

I don't know what is going on with the venison issue, however I suspect that somehow some government body has changed some rules somewhere along the way and is making it harder for the kibble companies to procure it.

I tend to blame companies' greed before suspecting the gov't, but that's just me! :lol I wonder if it's companies' having a hard time getting safe meat at a reasonable price. Or if they just want to get it cheaper from unsafe places... But I need to know because if it's an industrywide problem, then I can save myself the trouble of trying every single brand!

Dammit, not an IBD flare! sad.gif I can't give you any diet advice as, as you know, we've had to give up on commercial dog food altogether, but I hope Spencer feels better soon and that you can find a food that he can tolerate again. Kelly sends his buddy a great big wag!

Thanks to you and Kelly! He's not needing ER treatment or anything, but he's having to go back on Flagyl (and I fear the neurological, esp. cognitive, effects that can come from accumulation) and to have his Budesonide dose tripled. :( I'd much prefer to fix the food problem if that's what's caused this!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest greybookends

I don't know if the venison has to be in kibble form or not but maybe you can procure some raw. If we were still in hunting season i would suggest you check your local hunters and butchers. there are some on line sources but they are expensive. He is one Hare Today I am sure there are others. There may also be some commercial raw that uses venison also.

Guest mcsheltie

That would be my suggestion too. Some IBD dogs can't handle the bacteria in raw, so you would have to try it out with a small amount.

Post on Craig's List and Freecycle. Look up deer processors in your area (check both the yellow pages and goggle) Often you can even get it free or close to it, because hunters bring in deer and can't pay for it and just leave them there. I have a friend who has called the local DNR and they call her when they find a deer on the road. She picks it up and takes it to get processed.

Even if you don't want to do homemade all the time, having a freezer full of venison would give you something to feed when the stores run put of processed food.

Yes, raw is good! One-third of his diet, per day, is commercial raw (Primal Pets Venison). But experience showed that that had to be the percentage of raw, not more and not less, for Spencer to stay okay. I've tested it from time to time, but it hasn't changed. But if I can't get decent venison kibble and canned to make up the other 2/3 now and in the future, I'll have to do as you suggest. Trouble is, I don't know any hunters here in Seattle, and I don't think I'd ask a friend to send me a dead deer from Wyoming! But I'll keep looking into it. I do belong to a couple raw-feeding groups here, but they don't tend to handle venison.

Our experience suggests that at least some IBD dogs not only handle some amount of raw food, but require it.

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

I feed Natural Balance Venison & Sweet Potato and have also noticed several inconsistancies in the last few bags. The latest is very light in color, and evemn the shape of the kibble is slightly different, so I don't know what's going on.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

I feed Natural Balance Venison & Sweet Potato and have also noticed several inconsistancies in the last few bags. The latest is very light in color, and evemn the shape of the kibble is slightly different, so I don't know what's going on.

So it's not just me! NB has been driving me crazy for months with their inconsistency! Fortunately, the place I buy it will take it back. But I've resorted to buying the smallest bags for Spencer and gotten better consistency in them, for whatever reason. Shane we recently switched to Wellness kibble because his poops on NB had become gigantic, though Spencer doesn't have that problem with it. And calling the company months ago to ask about it did no good at all; I just got somebody who I could tell was giving a scripted kind of there's-nothing-wrong answer. Whew, I must've needed to say that. :lol