Hello From Michigan!

jto_MSU

Hi!

I've been lurking around this forum for the past few days, so I figured I would take this opportunity to introduce myself! We haven't yet added a grey to our family, but are looking to do it soon! Oscar (our rescued JRT mix) and I been to a couple of meet and greets on the East side of MI and met some really great people, but will also be going to some more in the next few weeks. My husband is taking the bar very soon, so any major life changes will have to take place after that =)

We're in the Lansing area, so I was also hoping to find out about any local adoption groups/ resources. My searches seem to put most of the groups on the East and West sides of MI- though I am planning on attending a G.R.A.C.E. meet and greet this weekend closer to home. At this point I am trying to learn as much as possible- I've read the Cynthia Branigan and Lee Livingood books and now am just trying to get as much personal insight from people owned by greys as possible!

Thanks in advance!

Guest K9Cookies

Welcome! :welcome I grew up in Canton, Michigan and went to Western! Go Broncos! :lol

You'll be so pleased if you add a greyhound to your family. Greyhounds of Eastern Michigan (GEM) may have a contact person closer to you, but I'm not sure. Other GTers from Michigan can give you better information.

Let us know how your research goes. :)

Hi!

I've been lurking around this forum for the past few days, so I figured I would take this opportunity to introduce myself! We haven't yet added a grey to our family, but are looking to do it soon! Oscar (our rescued JRT mix) and I been to a couple of meet and greets on the East side of MI and met some really great people, but will also be going to some more in the next few weeks. My husband is taking the bar very soon, so any major life changes will have to take place after that =)

We're in the Lansing area, so I was also hoping to find out about any local adoption groups/ resources. My searches seem to put most of the groups on the East and West sides of MI- though I am planning on attending a G.R.A.C.E. meet and greet this weekend closer to home. At this point I am trying to learn as much as possible- I've read the Cynthia Branigan and Lee Livingood books and now am just trying to get as much personal insight from people owned by greys as possible!

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if Mcsheltie has responded yet, but we are both with G.R.A.C.E. and we're both in the Lansing area. We have fosters all over, I know some are in Lansing, some in Grand Rapids and some in the Metro Detroit area/northern Ohio areas. There should be a meet'n'greet tomorrow at PetSmart in Okemos, but check the calendar on our website. I'm currently visiting my DBF in Florida, but will be back in Michigan on Monday. Mcsheltie's DH may be at the meet'n'greet tomorrow along with another couple from the Lansing area, I'm not sure who exactly will be there but they'll gladly answer any questions that you have. If I was in Michigan I'd probably go to help out with the fosters. If you look on our site, Uno and Adora were my fosters but both have found wonderful homes perfect for each of them.

Welcome!

ETA, do you go to MSU or work for MSU? I was just looking at your name.

Edited by kolarik1

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I don't know where Lansing is... but GEM in Michigan is a wonderful group. Really nice people. And they also do a prison program with the dogs, too, which I think is really cool. They are having a big event in May (13-15) at the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center in Ann Arbor. Woot! -- and we're coming down for it! GEM Event

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I don't know where Lansing is... but GEM in Michigan is a wonderful group. Really nice people. And they also do a prison program with the dogs, too, which I think is really cool. They are having a big event in May (13-15) at the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center in Ann Arbor. Woot! -- and we're coming down for it! GEM Event

In good weather/traffic you could probably make it to Lansing in about 45 min from AA...Lansing is about center in the southern part of the state from west to east. It takes about 90 min to get to Detroit (not the suburbs, actual Detroit) and about an hour to get to Grand Rapids using I-96 for both cities.

I was raised in Northern Lower MI, went to MSU & love the Greater Lansing area...lived near Metro Detroit for 5 years and that was HORRIBLE!!!! I absolutely cannot stand that area! Give me the East Lansing/Lansing/Bath/Okemos area over Metro Detroit any day...Northern MI is a little too quiet for me but there are a couple of cities that I could live near if I had to (not a fan of living in the city, which I currently do)

Of the fosters listed on our site, I've met Graphite & Dewey who last I knew were still in the Lansing area and I've met Molly who is actually a smaller-to-average size girl (I have a larger male and average female).

Edited by kolarik1

Guest mcsheltie

Hey! Welcome to GT!

Of course I am going to take this opportunity to unashamedly plug our group :lol We have a M&G at the Okemos PetSmart on Saturday afternoon. There are four members of our group who live in Lansing. I hope you come out and meet us!

I'm a skinny red head and my husband Michael is a big bald guy :)

Thanks everyone!

Kolarik1 - both! I received 2 degrees from MSU and am now lucky enough to work there after living in S. FL for 3 years (we LOVE being back).

K9Cookies and OwnedBySummer - I've gotten some excellent information from people at GEM- I went to their meet & greet last Saturday. I just figured it would be great to meet some Lansing-area greyhound people too.

mcsheltie - I'm planning on going tomorrow, so hopefully I will meet you there! Do you know if it will be ok if I bring Oscar or do you know for sure there will be greys there that are not so fond of smaller dogs? He's close to 30lbs, so he's not exactly a small dog, but obviously not quite as big as a greyhound. He did really well with them the last couple of weeks- we just wait to approach until we know who may not want to meet him =) If you think it would be a problem though, he can stay at home.

Guest mcsheltie

Thanks everyone!

mcsheltie - I'm planning on going tomorrow, so hopefully I will meet you there! Do you know if it will be ok if I bring Oscar or do you know for sure there will be greys there that are not so fond of smaller dogs? He's close to 30lbs, so he's not exactly a small dog, but obviously not quite as big as a greyhound. He did really well with them the last couple of weeks- we just wait to approach until we know who may not want to meet him =) If you think it would be a problem though, he can stay at home.

Bring him!

Guest WhenIGiveIn

Hey there!! Welcome to GT and Welcome back to Michigan!! I am a GEM member and we have people all over as Im sure you have found out since it looks like you've talked to some GEMs already.

Definitley check out the GEM event in may you can find all the info on our website. www.gemgreyhounds.org

Thanks everyone!

Kolarik1 - both! I received 2 degrees from MSU and am now lucky enough to work there after living in S. FL for 3 years (we LOVE being back).

K9Cookies and OwnedBySummer - I've gotten some excellent information from people at GEM- I went to their meet & greet last Saturday. I just figured it would be great to meet some Lansing-area greyhound people too.

Got any good leads on jobs near Pensacola/Milton? I have a B.S. in Nutritional Sciences. I currently have a good job in MI, but want to be closer to DBF.

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Welcome! We volunteer with www.rescuedgreyhounds.com. We are down here in Dearborn MI!

We've taken numerous pups to the vets at MSU...greyt place!

Edited by DundeeToddsMom

Guest Bean_Scotch

Welcome to GT!

You may want to check out Allies for Greyhounds of West Michigan They are a VERY nice group of people that I'm happy to be part of. We have fosters from Muskegon, MI to Warsaw, IN. We usually have around 40 available dogs for you to choose from! Meet and Greets are up on the website and are always up to date. We are going to be a Pet Supplies Plus in Grand Rapids in this Saturday!

Good luck to you finding your new pup!

Thanks everyone! It's been great to meet all of the groups and learn about the breed! We're thinking we may foster for a bit to see how it goes with Oscar + 1, but I'm sure it won't be long until we have at least one more permanent family member =) My husband wasn't able to go to the past meet and greets, so he'll be joining me at the next one and then hopefully we'll be able to submit an application to a group soon. All of the groups all been so great, it's going to be tough to figure out which one!

Thanks again! Hopefully I'll be able to share some greyhound pictures soon!

Here's one of Oscar- not a grey, but we love him.

n2314560_52452457_5106134.jpg

Edited by jto_MSU

Guest Bean_Scotch

Thanks everyone! It's been great to meet all of the groups and learn about the breed! We're thinking we may foster for a bit to see how it goes with Oscar + 1, but I'm sure it won't be long until we have at least one more permanent family member =) My husband wasn't able to go to the past meet and greets, so he'll be joining me at the next one and then hopefully we'll be able to submit an application to a group soon. All of the groups all been so great, it's going to be tough to figure out which one!

Oscar is adorable...Fostering is wonderful! I'm on my 43rd foster with most of them being from Allies. You get to see all the 'firsts'....their first toy..first snow..teach them all about homelife. It's a wonderful experience and good luck to you! :):colgate

Oscar is adorable...Fostering is wonderful! I'm on my 43rd foster with most of them being from Allies. You get to see all the 'firsts'....their first toy..first snow..teach them all about homelife. It's a wonderful experience and good luck to you! :):colgate

Oscar is a cutie. And congrats on fostering...you'll also get to seem them discover that weird dog in the mirror who mimicks them, the t.v., STAIRS!!! (LOL) My first foster thought the refrigerator door was going to eat her the first couple of days :lol:lol