Reconcile Medication

Guest amour

The vet suggests putting my boy on Reconcile for his SA. I'm not a fan of meds but any time I leave for any period of time (yesterday was for 20 minutes) I came home to a panting hound and a tummy that sounded like there was a thunderstorm in it,you could here it across the room. He is free in the house (crate is there and open) and there is no destruction or accidents when I get back.

He just barks and whines and really works himself up. We are doing Behavior Modification since we've had him and the vet says that this and the Reconcile would be a big help until he learns that he is not being abandon and that we always come back.

Has anyone out there used Reconcile? How long does it take and how long does the pup have to be on it with the uses of behavior modisication, side effects? Does it change the pup's personality ?(we love his personality)

Outside of this little problem he is the perfect fit in our family!!! :inlove

The vet suggests putting my boy on Reconcile for his SA. I'm not a fan of meds but any time I leave for any period of time (yesterday was for 20 minutes) I came home to a panting hound and a tummy that sounded like there was a thunderstorm in it,you could here it across the room. He is free in the house (crate is there and open) and there is no destruction or accidents when I get back.

He just barks and whines and really works himself up. We are doing Behavior Modification since we've had him and the vet says that this and the Reconcile would be a big help until he learns that he is not being abandon and that we always come back.

Has anyone out there used Reconcile? How long does it take and how long does the pup have to be on it with the uses of behavior modisication, side effects? Does it change the pup's personality ?(we love his personality)

Outside of this little problem he is the perfect fit in our family!!! :inlove

Sorry your boy has SA, we went through that with Lucy.

Reconcile is Prozac (Fluoxetine), FYI, so if you keep him on it, your vet can write you a script for Fluoxetine and you can fill it at Target, etc for like $4/month.

We used it for Lucy and it did help make the training easier, but I think the training was much more important for us. We didn't notice any personality changes or side effects. We kept her on a low dose for over a year (we were occasionally still seeing symptoms, so we kept her on it). Just keep in mind that you have to start at a low dose and work up, and wean off slowly. I would say we saw effects in about 1-2 weeks. It basically just helped us progress in the training more quickly.

Hope it works for your boy. It sounds like his SA is fairly mild like Lucy's was, which is good.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

It's been a life saver for our beagle mix. Absolute lifesaver. I cannot even begin to describe the difference it has made in her. I highly recommend it. FWIW we used the reconcile for a year and then switched her over to generic prozac for the cost savings.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)