Dog Who Panics At The Vet

Guest jaws4evr

Rescue Remedy would probably help.

It works for some dogs and not for others but in my experience you have to give more than most do to get any effect -- like 2 droppers on the tongue (really only one as that funky dropper only fills 1/2 way). It will not work in dogs adding to water. Evidently horses need a much lower dose. Worth a $10 try at GNC tho.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest lizmego

Already really good advice for you in this thread. Just be aware that when a dog does start to freak out and they can overstress themselves and overheat. As Power got older (he has since passed on), he would start to freak when at the vet, when he was younger is was totally fine and had no problem. We found that injections of B12 would be good for him, and once at the vet when he was freaking out especially bad - he had thunderphobia and someone had moved a chair in the room above him and it made an awful noise, so he started freaking out, panting really hard, etc. The vet ended up dosing him with Valium, I think, to get him to calm down, and then the vets tried to get us out of the clinic as soon as possible (I think we were just there for his rabies vacc).

Good luck!

I was wondering if your vet examined your dog on the table or on the floor. My vet is a greyhound owner and kneels on the ground to examine Micah. I'm not as experienced as many others are at this site but I think the exam table totally freaks out a lot of dogs. Micah is very spooky but has not minded going to the vet because he gets his shot on the floor with someone scratching his ears and hugging him followed by some sort of dog yummy.

Guest jaws4evr

I was wondering if your vet examined your dog on the table or on the floor. My vet is a greyhound owner and kneels on the ground to examine Micah. I'm not as experienced as many others are at this site but I think the exam table totally freaks out a lot of dogs. Micah is very spooky but has not minded going to the vet because he gets his shot on the floor with someone scratching his ears and hugging him followed by some sort of dog yummy.

The exam was done on the floor.. there's no way anyone wold be able to get nina on the table, even if she could fit properly (it's small!). And even if they got her up there, the chances of her bucking and falling off would be huge, so I'd totally veto that idea.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Proper and low-stress handling, including restraint, are important. I don't know many vets that would be willing to give injections of any kind to a dog without some light restraint. Even very docile dogs often bite when pricked with a needle!

I'm with jjng- see if you can find a vet willing to work with you on "happy visits." The vet hospital I work at started offering this service last year and we have had a TON of success with it. Basically the dogs come in for low stress appointments to make them more comfortable with the vet. They start out really easy- you bring your dog in, they put you in an exam room, the vet (or a tech) comes in and gives your dog lots of pets and treats, then you leave. The next visit they might look at your dog's teeth, lots of treats etc, then you leave. Each visit they get a little more invasive while paying close attention to body language to make sure they don't overwhelm the dog.

Getting the dog used to new situations including the vet is a great idea, im a groomer and some of the dogs i groom only leave the house to see the vet and be groomed... they are total head cases by the time i get them on my table, i ask the owners to start bringing their dogs in for "happy" visits when they are just shopping or just to say hi so they dont think they are being left everytime.

I have my dogs so used to being at the vet they dont mind being there, Vegas lOVES going there and meeting people. They are to the point i dont have to hold them while they get their shots, they vet gets a bit of skin on the back of their neck and gives the shot just that simple no fuss at all.